cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE - Collection Removed - Score Unchanged?

tag
stlmo123

UPDATE - Collection Removed - Score Unchanged?

I sent out 5 or 6 GW letters a couple of weeks ago and received a letter from CBCS collections stating they'd stop reporting. This is an older account (paid in full early 2011). I checked and sure enough it's gone. The first success feels good but my score is unchanged (640). There is still another collection account on there (I'm waiting to hear from them). 

I'm wondering what people's experience is with these deletions and their scores changing. Will my score go up if the other is removed? There is one remaining collection. An account with Convergent/ER Solutions that I settled for less than the full balance. I wrote in my GW that I opened the account when I was under 18 (true) and that Sprint allowed me to do so and I'm thinking that will help me get it removed.

What do you guys think about the score thing? Any experience with this kind of thing?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection Removed - Score Unchanged?

Where did you get your score from?

Message 2 of 12
stlmo123

I got my score from here.

Message 3 of 12
apandabear
Regular Contributor

Is the 2nd collection newer than the one that was removed?

Do you have any other problems on your credit report? Charge offs, late payments? Anything very recent?

Did you pull a brand new report on this site, or did you see it drop from another credit monitoring service?

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Message 4 of 12
stlmo123

The removed collection was last reported in early 2011 as PIF. The most recently reported one is still on there but closed.

There are a few lates on credit cards, none any more recent than January 2010. The worst was 120 days delinquent from 2009 but that account was paid in full, remains open, and is in good standing since then. I'm working on getting them removed too and have been exchanging letters with the creditor with the most lates. I got hit hard in 09 as a result of the financial crisis and am seeking GW adjustments on all of these accounts that were late seeing as I have maintained good relationships with them since that period of time. 

It seems as if the lates are what's killing me. My utilization goes between 10% and 20% depending on the month (seems healthy).

Message 5 of 12
stlmo123

Oh and the report was from EQ from this site from today.

Message 6 of 12
apandabear
Regular Contributor

I got in trouble at pretty much the same time. 

When you have multiple collections, sometimes having an older one removed doesn't help a whole lot.

Try GWing the newer collection. Just GW the heck out of everyone. I'm at this phase right now, and it's tedious... But every little bit will help.

Edit: You just answered this (redacted) question!

Hopefully others can chime in with advice!

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Message 7 of 12
stlmo123

Subscribed to ScoreWatch. I did the free trial thing earlier in the month to check the score. Cancelled it before it charged and then decided it was a valuable service so I reordered it today.

I sent out GWs to the creditor with all of the lates and received a letter yesterday asking for the specific dates and a copy of my report. I sent that back to them today and expect to get a response like "after checking we are reporting correctly and won't remove" but, maybe I'll be lucky.

I had an HSBC card through Best Buy and paid that in full and then closed the account. I wrote them asking them for an adjustment or to just delete the account entirely. 

And a few more.

The biggest issue really is lates. I opened these accounts when I was 18 and always paid on time and in full most of the time. I was making good money for a teenager but I worked in a working class neighborhood for tips and once construction and things related stopped, so did the money. It was rough for a few months but after three or so months of 80 hour weeks and moving back home I paid everything up. I'm in a great position now, my credit just isn't where I want it to be. I'm fortunate to be in the mid 600s starting out though.

Message 8 of 12
stlmo123

Just ran my scores again here on myFICO. Both collection accounts have been removed now and my score jumped from a 640 to a 679!! I'm ecstatic. So glad to see my GWs are working. Now all I need to do is work on getting lates removed. 

Message 9 of 12
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Over the l5 moths I have removed around 13-14 collections.  I saw a 15 point boost when I got the MOST RECENT collection deleted, and I saw a pretty big boost when I got the LAST ONE deleted.  Those in the middle dont seen to matter much to the FICO in my personal experience.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.