Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE on my Court case against collection agency

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE on my Court case against collection agency

Ok so yesterdy I get a call from a lawyer "hired" by the collection agency im suing.  Did a little research and this lawyer is also adebt collector.  He pretended to be all nice and in agreeance with me then wanted to ask me a favor "really quick" (WTF???)  He said he was going ut of town, he already have a ticket and wanted to know if I will agree to an adjournment till he gets back.  Ummm HELLO!!! how about NO!

So then he offered to "make all this go away" and that he would be able to "score me a few hundred dollars" if I settled.  A few hundred bucks....over the phone?? clearly is is delusional.   The phone call ended with him telling me that he will tell the courts im being unreasonable for not agreeing to an adjournment and that I will be paying his bill.  I hung up.

Oh he told me over and over again that he has done this for years and no court would give me the judgment.   I told him I have nothing to lose.  I dont even think he can sue me if the case gets dismissed because SOL on paying the lawyers fees goes fight out the window with the time-barred debt.  MORON.

OMG when I tell you guys who these people are you not be be shocked.  Think one of the biggest CA ever.  lol

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UPDATE on my Court case against collection agency

ETA:  If anyone has any advice or suggestions please post.  I am going to file a complaint with the lawyers disciplinary board for violating the rules of professional responsibility for the untrue, inappropriate and idle threats the slumyer made. 

Since the slumyer is also a debt collector, Im trying to find out if they have any type of relationship with each other, because I did send a cease and desist, he shouldnt be contacting me, but I have to research that.

Message 2 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I've never been in your situation but I don't think they would have called you at all if they weren't at least a little uncertain about the validity of their case. Good for you for sticking to your guns. Be sure and keep us posted about developments.

From a BK years ago to:
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 3 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

At this point I think it is safe to assume that they want to settle. You wouldn't be getting a nicey-nice call from their lawyer if you didn't have them by the short and curlies. This call was their attempt at assesing how much it is going to cost them. The mention of a few hundred was a talking point to get the ball rolling on a number. The lie about having a plane ticket is truly laughable. This guy must think that you just rolled into town on the turnip truck. Also laughable is the lie about you being in trouble with the court for not agreeing to a continuance. He is just trying to stall you to buy time. Probably you will start to get some written offers to settle from these bozos. Of course It's up to you as to how much you want in order to drop the lawsuit, but it is certainly entertaining. Good luck and keep us posted !
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

May I ask, what is the reason for the suit?  is it from reporting violations? harrassment? false reporting?

just asking, I have a CA reporting false info and was thinking about sueing.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

re-aging my debt

failure to report the debt as disputed

failure to contact me within 5 days of porting it on my report.  or failure to notify me of my right to dispute when communicating (posting is communicating)

representing themselves as lawyers for another CA (another CA owns the debt, and they forwarded me to the lawyers who are actually debt collectors)

failure to validate debt, they actually said the couldnt, I would have to wait like a long while because they would have to research and dig it up

reporting on my credit report beyond 7 years

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.