Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

***UPDATED*** Dispute Issue - Need Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

***UPDATED*** Dispute Issue - Need Advice

I recently disputed (through CFPB) my Macy's store card and Macy's Amex because they were reporting wrong and incomplete information.  I have already spoken with their EO regarding this as well.  She was supposed to call me for the second time last Friday but did not.

Macy's store card - account was deleted today on EX (via CCT) and TU (via CK).  It still remains on my EQ.  Can it come back?

Here's the ISSUE:  My Macy's Amex was UPDATED last night on my EX as a CHARGE OFF on 5/1/2016.  So far on my TU and EQ, that update is not on there.  The updated status hasn't impacted my score, is that because it was already under dispute when the change happened?  My options per EX are to let the dispute on 5/8/16 run its course or to cancel the dispute and EX will remove the charge off status.

Any thoughts on this mess?!?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dispute Issue - Need Advice

Some clarification is needed, please....

You file complaints with the CFPB, not disputes.  The CFPB has administrarive oversight of compliance with the FCRA.

Disputes are filed either via the CRA or directly with the furnisher.  They assert an inaccuracy and request its correrction.

A dispute should first be filed before involving the CFPB.

When asking whether you should "let the dispute run its course," it is unclear as to whehter you are referring to an actual dispute, or your CFPB complaint.

It is unclear as to whether you filed a dispute with the CRAs before filing a complaint with the CFPB.

Was any deletion made by the CRA, or was it voluntary on the part of the creditor?

Additionally, if the charge-off was unrelated to the issues on dispute, how was its reporting considered improper?  ARe you asserting they never charged off the debt?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry wrong words - was so mad when I got off the phone with EX......

I filed a complaint because the dispute route was not working.  The disputes come back verified but all three of the bureaus have different information reporting.  My BK filing, account closure letters, statements, etc. all have different information than they are reporting.  I'm sorry EX kept calling it a dispute and talking about running it's course, but it's the complaint I filed that they are calling a dispute.  I was mad when I was typing and just used their language.

As for the store account deletion - I haven't received the documentation on who deleted it yet, the CRA or voluntary on the creditor.  I was able to verify that it is in fact gone as of today on EX (over the phone and reports) and TU.  On my complaints, the CRA's said they would respond in writing only, not via the portal.

As for the charge off - the account was never, ever charged off by Macy's, I filed before that happened.  It was closed by creditor, included in my ch7 which was filed 8/13 and discharged 12/13.  However, they updated the account overnight to say it was charged off 5/1/16.  So EX is saying I can basically close the complaint and they'll remove the charge off and note it as IIB or wait for the OC to respond to the complaint, which they have until 6/7/16.

I have no idea why this is only happening on EX and not the others.  I'm watching like a hawk right now.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The charge-off is apparently a dead issue.  Both the FTC and CFPB have opined that a creditor can take a CO after BK, but cannot report that fact to the CRAs.

The CRA apparently agrees, and is willing to remove based on the dates.  Whether you wait for the CFPB to complete its complaint process does not appear to be material.

You filed the complaint, so I would get their determination before doing anything else.

If the prior disputes were concluded by verification,then the deletion was voluntary, and not done by the CRA.  They are free to reinsert at any time.

The CFPB complaint was apparently based on an assertion that their verification of the accuracy of your prior disputes was unreasonable.

Only the CFPB response can affect that issue, so I would definately wait fo their determination as to the reasonableness of their verifications.

If the creditor disagrees with teh CFPB,then the CFPB would need to initiate their own civil action.   It thus is a very unresolved issue that need to run its course.....

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I have an UPDATE.  All three bureaus have deleted the Macy's store card from my reports.  I just recevied the notification from them last night/this morning.  I've reviewed my reports and verified.

HOWEVER, both EX and EQ have come back and said that the Macys AMEX was updated.  Does that mean that will be their response to the complaint?  Because if so, they are each showing different information after the supposed "update".   Both of them have different account closure dates.  Neither of them is showing the account balance as $0.  EX deleted all of the historical payment information and are now just reporting a "negative" mark for May 2012.  And one is reporting the BK as an incorrect date.  TU has not finished their investigation.  What are the next steps to get them all updated with the same/correct information or do I continue waiting patiently for the 30 to complete?

Thanks for any input, this is the first time I've really dug in and tried to fix and correct the remaining accounts.  When I finally started monitoring my reports, all of the other IIB accounts were gone (woo hoo).  Just these remained with not so accurate information.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.