Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Charge Off - Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

US Bank Charge Off - Questions

I have 1 negative account on my credit reports - a charge off from a US Bank Student Credit Card in the amount of $300. My credit utilization is way too high at the moment, but will be paid down within the month. I assume this charge off must be bringing my scores down quite a bit: 

Experian: 572

TU: 589

Equifax: 572

Anyways, this being the only negative account on my reports, I am hoping for PFD or Goodwill, but the debt is still owned by US Bank, and it is my understanding that they are quite difficult when it comes to PFD's and GW. A few questions: 

1.) Has anyone had success with PFD or GW with US Bank? I have read a couple success stories from years ago on here, but have not seen much about them. 

2.) Any thoughts on whether I am better off paying the debt in full and requesting GW, or requesting a PFD? I assume I may as well request the PFD and go from there. 

3.) I realize that I have no control as to if or when US Bank will sell the debt to an outside collections agency, but, hypothetically, would I almost be better off if they did? Seems people have better success with GW from credit agencies than OC's from what I have seen. 

Thanks in advance for any help! I have been banking with US Bank for the last decade and would really like to leverage that, but from what I understand their recovery department and cardmember services are not exactly connected with their personal banking. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: US Bank Charge Off - Questions

I don't know how US Bank handles PFD requests, but I can tell you, NO you would not be better off if they sold the debt. If it goes to a collection agency, you can (will likely) end up with both a charge off and collection on your reports for this one account, hurting your score more. The original creditor does not remove the charge off when they sell a debt, they simply update the balance to zero - but the account remains derogatory and continues to hurt.

What was the credit limit on that card? You say you owe $300 - that is also being calculated into your current utilization. If this amount is near or over the credit limit - it's also hurting a lot. If this is the case case, paying the balance owed could actually help your your score by bringing down util. Also, paying it off will officially close the account- preventing the creditor from continuous updates to the bureaus, allowing the item to age - lessening the damage to your score over time.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the response, makes sense. The limit on the card was $600. I guess I was under the impression that paying the charge off would not help my scores much, but I see what you are saying. I think it would be best for me to just PIF at this point before it is sold to outside collections. 

Message 3 of 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

I agree. Also, after it's paid - you can bombard them with goodwill letters and hope it lands in the hands of some sympathetic soul. At least you won't have to worry about collections coming after you and the very worst they can do is say is no.

I have one, almost 4 year old chargeoff on my EX and TU reports-- my only negative (PFD refused), yet my scores are now over 750. The account was reporting 113% individual util before I paid it and the OC was updating as late every few months.

I gained 18 points after it reported paid charge off /zero balance. I know I'm still losing at least 50 points because of its existence - but I'm still better off; no collection item (and no worry about one popping up), and it's not updating anymore. I still send goodwill letters in hopes they'll get tired of my sob story and just remove it.

Paid charge offs also look way better to lenders upon a manual review of your reports than an unpaid chargeoff would.
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again, I paid the balance off which sounds like a step in the right direction. Now, if anyone may have an address in which to send GW letters to US Bank, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Also, good to hear that I could potentially still put up some decent scores even with this one charge off. That said, it is very recent (within the last year) which I know is not helping. 

Message 5 of 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

It being so recent may give you a stronger stance in your goodwill letter - you didn't wait years to pay what you owe, you paid it "as soon as you overcame your financial hardship and became stable because you would never, willingly default on your financial responsibilities" - or something to that effect.

I cant help with an adress, but i wish you the best of luck!
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump in case someone may have an address to send US Bank GW.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Going to bump this once more. I have a GW letter drafted.

Would the best idea be to start by mailing to the address of their corporate office with Attn: to the CEO?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.