cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Dept of Ed/Direct Loans/ Sallie Mae/ AGGHHHH Whatever They Are Called!!!!

tag
mlc3542
Valued Member

US Dept of Ed/Direct Loans/ Sallie Mae/ AGGHHHH Whatever They Are Called!!!!

This is my first post and sorry in advance for the long listing.  I have paid my college loan by wage garnishmentin full as shown below.  Upon pulling my CR's I have two different accounts listed under US Dept of Education.  I have only had (as I recall) the original loan thru Sallie Mae.  One acct listed under my SSN and the other listed with a different account number. I tried breaking it down as to avoid confusion and again apologize for taking up space.  I just feel as though there this whole thing isn't being reported correctly and I don't know what else to do. 

According to my CR's The US Dept of Education with my SSN is reported as Positive:

listed as pays as agreed

paid/ closed account

opened 8/13/2002

date of last payment as 04/2007

81 month term duration

The 2nd account has had several account names to include and reported as Derogatory/ Negative:

Direct Loans/ US Dept of Ed/ Debt Management and Collection Systems. 

This is what they are currently reporting.

Term Duration: 12 months

Date Opened: 8/2/2002

Date of Last Payment: 2/2011

Date First Major Deliquency: 7/2008

Date of First Deliquency: 2/2008

Term Frequency: Single Payment DLA: N/A

Upon looking and trying to do research i was able to look at my info via NSLDS with my pin and pulled up the information listed.

Amounts and Dates

Loan Amount-$2,625

Outstanding Principal Balance- $0

Outstanding Principal Balance As of Date- 8/13/2002

Outstanding Interest Balance- $0

Outstanding Interest Balance As of Date- 8/13/2002

Interest Rate- variable

Canceled Amount- $0

Canceled Date- N/A    

Disbursement(s) and Status(es)

Disbursement Date- 1/03/1996 Disbursement Amount- $2,625 

Loan Status  Status Description             Status                 Effective Date  

DN           DEFAULTED, PAID IN FU               02/15/2011 

DU           DEFAULTED, UNRESOLVED         04/30/2008

DF            DEFAULTED, UNRESOLVED        02/22/2008  

RP            IN REPAYMENT                             08/29/2004  

FB            FORBEARANCE                             03/28/2003  

RP            IN REPAYMENT                             09/01/2002  

IA              LOAN ORIGINATED                      08/02/2002  

Servicer/Lender/Guaranty Agency/ED Servicer Information

Contact Type             Contact  

Current Servicer:                                     

Current ED Servicer: 

Debt Management and Collections System   

U.S. Department of Education     

BELOW IS THE ORIGIN OF THE LOAN ACCORDING TO NSLDS:

Amounts and Dates

Loan Amount-$2,625      Outstanding Principal Balance- $0      Outstanding Principal Balance As of Date- 8/13/2002      Outstanding Interest Balance- $0

Outstanding Interest Balance As of Date- 8/13/2002      Interest Rate- variable      Canceled Amount- $0      Canceled Date- N/A    

Disbursement(s) and Status(es) Disbursement Date- 1/03/1996 Disbursement Amount- $2,625 

Loan Status  Status Description        Status           Effective Date  

DN        DEFAULTED, THEN PAID IN FULL BY CONSOLIDATION    08/13/2002    

DF        DEFAULTED, UNRESOLVED                                                 04/30/2001  

RP        IN REPAYMENT                                                                      04/03/2000   

FB         FORBEARANCE                                                                     04/03/1999    

RP        IN REPAYMENT                                                                      10/03/1997    

ID          IN SCHOOL OR GRACE PERIOD                                          08/22/1995  

Servicer/Lender/Guaranty Agency/ED Servicer Information Contact Type Contact Current Servicer:  SALLIE MAE, INC.

Current Lender:  DEUTSCHE BANK ELT SLM TRUSTS 11600 SALLIE MAE DR,DEB SOUTHERLAND

Current Guaranty Agency:  TEXAS GUARANTEED STUDENT LOAN CORP. 

Comparing all the info reported to the CRA and NSLDS, it shows that these items do not match.

My questions are: 

1.  Is Sallie Mae the Original Creditor as to which I should use the DLA dating back to around 1999?

2.  I cannot recall making any agreement to consolidate my loan thru Direct Loans, so when they took over the account are they now the original creditor?

3.  My previous TU report shows the estimated date of removal of 5/2014 for Direct Loans

4.  According to a disputed TU verified update: A removal of 1/2015 is showing under US Dept of Ed.

5.  According to the US Dept of Ed Account with my SSN: The DLA is showing 4/2007 which would originally make the above estimated date of removal at 5/14

As im sure you are as confused as I am, I really have no starting point on where to go.  I have tried disputing the negative listing with the CRA but they came back as verified.  I can't remember my original dispute.  Confused and brain dead, if you can somehow understand and provide me with input, I would appreciate it. 

Discover It Secured- 500, Open Sky Secured- 500, Capital One QS1- 300. In rebuilding stages.

EQ- 596 TU- 616 EX- 560
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
barb80
Established Member

Re: US Dept of Ed/Direct Loans/ Sallie Mae/ AGGHHHH Whatever They Are Called!!!!

I just posted something on here along those lines about some student loans that are reporting double for me but no luck in getting answers cuz I think we should be posting on the student loan forum
Message 2 of 9
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: US Dept of Ed/Direct Loans/ Sallie Mae/ AGGHHHH Whatever They Are Called!!!!

Wow, you are right. That is confusing. But what the hey, my insomnia's kicked up so I'll bite:

So just for clarity's sake, let's back up. Are you saying this is one loan that's being reported twice? Or is this two separate loans? Because it sort of looks, based on the NSLDS information, like this is one loan that was consolidated in 2002 in order to get out of default. Only then the consolidated loan defaulted in 2008.

What's the timeline on your garnishment? Based again on the NSLDS, it looks as though the garnishments finished in Feb. 2011. Is that accurate?

To answer your questions:

1) Are you asking in terms of trying to find out what the exclusion date is? Because if you are, the timeline's going to matter a great deal.
2) Is it possible you did consolidate and don't remember? It certainly would appear as though you might have.

3) Okay.
4) What was the basis of your disputing the TU information? And which account is showing with a 1/2015 removal date? Both your listings from your CR's have Dept. of Ed somewhere in the name. Did you dispute the negative one or the positive one?
5) The Dept. of Ed listing with your SSN is listed as positive, paid as agreed and closed. That's good...don't you want that one to stay? I'm not convinced this is the same loan, given that the information is so wildly different from what's listed on the NSLDS.

And a bonus question: can you expand on the statement "I can't remember my original dispute"? I can't figure out if you're talking about the dispute in question 4 or if there have been multiple disputes at this point.

Message 3 of 9
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@barb80 wrote:
I just posted something on here along those lines about some student loans that are reporting double for me but no luck in getting answers cuz I think we should be posting on the student loan forum

I think you can ask the mods to move them....they have special powers like that. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
mlc3542
Valued Member

Yes, from what is listed on my reports this is reported twice, but from what you just stated then im more than sure that was the case that it was consolidated to get out of default and it makes sense.  I just wasn't able to recall since it was a long time ago.

The time line of my garnishment was for about 6 months from Sept. 2010 to Feb 2011.  That timeline is correct.

1.  I was asking if Sallie Mae was the original creditor or US Dept of Ed/ Direct Loans (due to consolidation) to find my exlusion date.

2.  I am thinking i did consolidate this loan.

3.  Skip

4.  Back when I first attempted to dispute the negative TL, I believe I listed it as a duplicate.  Maybe that was my rookie mistake as you can clearly see I did not know what I was looking at before I found the NSLDS website and the info listed here.

5.  You are correct, I am not trying to delete the positive TL. 

I just wasn't sure if both of these positive and negative items were connected to the OC Sallie Mae and maybe this whole mess got re-aged or something.   

And to your bonus question, there was a single dispute for the negative TL and I tried to dispute it as a duplicate.

Again, thank you for input!

Discover It Secured- 500, Open Sky Secured- 500, Capital One QS1- 300. In rebuilding stages.

EQ- 596 TU- 616 EX- 560
Message 5 of 9
mlc3542
Valued Member

How do we go about having them moved.  Im a rookie at this stuff!!!

EQ- 596 TU- 616 EX- 560
Message 6 of 9
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@mlc3542 wrote:

How do we go about having them moved.  Im a rookie at this stuff!!!

No worries, we all start out as newbies. Smiley Wink

Thing is, there might be no recourse but time in this situation. The problem is that when the original loan was consolidated to get out of default, the original loan was closed and an entirely new loan was created. So this is essentially two separate debts. The first entry you listed from your CR is positive; presumably this is the original loan. The second, the one from Debt Management & Collections, is the one that's hurting. It hasn't been re-aged, but it is going to stick around until roughly 7.5 years from DOFD - so that January 2015 or thereabouts seems accurate. Isn't this even a touch early, if your DOFD is listed as 7/2008? 7.5 years from that would actually be January 2016. They must be going by the 2007 date you found. This is good.

Student loans aren't like other kinds of debt; they can be one of the stickiest things on a credit report. My advice would be to wait it out, work on getting some good credit behavior on your CR's (good payment history can help dilute out the baddies) and let "time heal all wounds", so  to speak.

Message 7 of 9
mlc3542
Valued Member

Totally makes sense now! I have gotten several items deleted and by March 2014 I shall have around 9 more other baddies fall off.  Those younger irresponsible days I tell ya!  In the meantime I have slowly started re-establishing my credit beginning Jan this year from a secured card to a now approved for an unsecured NFCU cashrewards card after recon for $500, but hey im proud of that.  We have to start somewhere.  Thank you all for making this a clearer picture.  After this info, my brain is no longer the walking dead!

EQ- 596 TU- 616 EX- 560
Message 8 of 9
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

You're welcome. And keep up the good work - it sounds like you've got a good plan, so by the time this does drop you'll be in a great place.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.