Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA credit card offer -should I apply?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA credit card offer -should I apply?

Hi all,
I got the first credit card offer I've had in years in the mail today!!! I must be doing something right. It's for a USAA Platimum Rewards Visa. It does not state that it's a prequal offer. Even though I'm re-building, my scores are still awful (572-610) and I have a lot of negatives to
clear. I highly doubt I'd get approved but why are they sending me this offer? I'm not a USAA member. Any advice?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA credit card offer -should I apply?

Are you eligible to be a member iof USAA?  You need to be a Veteran, but not necessarily retired.

Do you have a close relative that is a member?

You arent eligible for membership because of a credit profile, so if you arent eligible, it must have been a mistake.

If you are eligible, I would recommend joining and maybe waiting at least 3 months or more and then making the app when scores and reports are better.

I am a member and very happy with them.  I did an app for their CC right after joining with low scores (dont recall the score, it was in 2012, but it was probably in low to mid 500s) and I was denied, but offered a secured CC.  I got it for 250 so I could build a relationship with them.  It does not graduate, but it did help with building the relationship, along with auto insurance payments.  Last month, I did get a regular CC with them and I closed the secured one.

HTH

Message 2 of 3
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA credit card offer -should I apply?

USAA is pretty conservative and your scores would probably be too low for them. However if you are eligible to join them by all means join and start a relationship. Also if you are eligible to join then look at NFCU as well, your scores can get you a card there with surprisingly high SL's. I prefer Navy over USAA because USAA has never done anything special for me but Navy has been completely different, very generous.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.