cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA - qualify with chargeoff with USAA from 1988?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA - qualify with chargeoff with USAA from 1988?

I had a card with USAA back in 1988 that was charged off due to a BK that same year.  Will I need to repay that in order to qualify for a new card?  Yes I know about statute of limitations, etc - it is that some creditors keep long memories.  I think Sears is one of those as well.  All of my scores are in the 630-650 range, I have an issue with child support - paying back a $42k arrearage, now down to $6k, but the State of Colorado keeps showing it as charge-off with the current month as the date, even 'tho I have paid almost 90 consecutive payments on the arrears without missing one.  As long as the State keeps 're-dating' the charge-off/collection account to the current month I don't think my score will ever increase past 670 or so.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: USAA - qualify with chargeoff with USAA from 1988?

Which date are you referring to, the date reported? 

I wasn't aware that back child support was reported as a CO.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Was the USAA account included in the BK discharge?  If so, it is discharged, and there would be no debt owed.

As for the "charge-off" taken by the State of Colorado, I presume you meant it was a collection?

If so, it remains in that status until fully satisfied, so the update of that status would not be inaccurate.

Any date of exclusion of either a collection or charge off is not extended by update of status.  It runs from one date certain, which is the DOFD on the OC account.

Message 3 of 5
starry1
Valued Contributor

Any child support that is more than 180 days past due can be reported as a collection account.  So you're looking at having your scores held down until your arrears are less than 6 months worth of child support.  I don't know about charge-offs.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I can see it being a collection not a charge off.  Child support, I am pretty sure, does not write off debt for profit and loss.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.