cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USCB collection...how to handle

tag
exleyfam

USCB collection...how to handle

I have a collection on my credit report for one of those online distance learning schools. I don't even remember the name of the school. I guess it got sold to USCB and they started reporting in September. I have never received anything from them what so ever. I'm not sure if I should do a DV or just report them to the better business bureau. Going the better business bureau route worked for my LVNV funding that they kept validating. I thought it might be better to just bypass all the letters and go straight to BBB
Any thoughts?
4/23/2013 TU FAKO (CK) 610
4/26/2013 TU (Pulled by car dealer) 569
4/29/2013 EX FAKO (CreditSesame) 610
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: USCB collection...how to handle

The more appropriate course would probably be to send a complaint to the CFPB if they faliled to contact you by sending formal dunning notice within 5 days for reporting their collection to the CRA.  That is an actual violation of the FDCPA, for which the CFPB has oversightt.

Their failure to have contacted you prior to reporting is not a violation.  The basis for any complaint would be their failure to have sent timely dunning notice.

Thus, a complaint wont compel deletion of their proper reporting.

Coplaints to a BBB, who has no legal oversight authority, are used primarily when their action is not per se a violation, but rather a poor business practice.

You can elect to do both, but a CFPB complaint would be my first approach.

However, both approaches dont address the basic issue of their assertion of a debt.  They may be found to have been in violation of their dunning notice requirement, but that is a separate debt collection practices violation that might result in a slap of the hand.  It does not resolve the primary issue.

If the debt is legit, an alternative is to offer to pay in exchange for their deletion of the collection from your credit report.

If you send a DV, it will place a cease collection bar on them, which does not put them under any period to provide verification.

It requires them to cease collection until they do so, which would include negotitation on ony offer you make.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.