cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDept of Education

tag

USDept of Education

I went 12 months late on my Dept of Education loan (I know, I'm a terrible person). After 12 months, I called to resume payments and they said that they would not accept payments as the account was being transferred to a debt resolution department. I asked how long that would take, they gave no ETA. It took 5 months. After the 5 months, I settled the debt with one payment and now it's paid. However, I have 17 months of late payments on my credit report. The first 12 months are accurate, but the last 5 seem unfair to me as I was literally not allowed to pay. When I emailed them, I stated this:

For that purpose, can you please confirm that during the time the loan was being transferred with the US Department of Education from January 2013 to June 2013, that the following statements are true:
* You did not accept payment on the loan during the transfer, regardless of any attempt on my part to make a payment.
* You did not have any knowledge of how long the transfer would take and when I called your representative to get an estimated date, you were unable to do so.
* You continued to report to the credit bureau that my loan was past due during this time, regardless of my attempts to pay.

And their response was this:

Dear Direct Loan Borrower,

Thank you for your email inquiry. That is all correct.

What is the next step (if any)?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ecalmese
Regular Contributor

Re: USDept of Education

One word:  OMBUDSMEN

Started January 2013 in the lower 500s
Scores (as of January 2014) Equifax 630 | Experian 646 | Transunion 674
With the help of you all; I am working my way to the 700 club!
Message 2 of 7
H2013
New Visitor

I'm not sure there is anything you can do for this.  However, you may want to call a credit repair company and ask them if they would be able to have it removed.

Message 3 of 7
ecalmese
Regular Contributor

@H2013 wrote:

I'm not sure there is anything you can do for this.  However, you may want to call a credit repair company and ask them if they would be able to have it removed.

i've done that before, US Dept. of ED is going to fight it and tell the bureaus the info is accurate. The only ones that can fix it and update the balance to paid as agreed $0 is the OMBUDSMEN

Message 4 of 7

Wow I had no idea such a thing existed. I love this forum. Thank you for the suggestion Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Also probably worth pursuing, as govt guaranteed or insured loans have exclusion periods for monthly delinquencies that are longer than the normal 7 years.

Message 6 of 7
ecalmese
Regular Contributor

I didn't know about the OMBUDSMEN group until last month. They can do things with student loan disputes no one else can.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.