Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UTIL and Cut dates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

UTIL and Cut dates

Ok - I have 4 new cards and only one has cut a statement - I got hit with a 37% util on the CR but dont really care - as the other 3 cards aren't really showing and I didn't know what day the statement would cut (it was literally less than a week after I made the purchase - so I didn't expect it that fast.

Anyway - I know you guys have said - pay all cards to 0 - and let one show 10% -  What I'm wondering is if ALL cards show some balance (like $10-20 or so) and it totals less than 10% of my total cards $2000 ($500 each) - will it score the same?

I have to get those first statement to learn the cut dates...... then I can make sure its paid off a day ahead - except for one!

Hope that all makes sense....

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UTIL and Cut dates

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok - I have 4 new cards and only one has cut a statement - I got hit with a 37% util on the CR but dont really care - as the other 3 cards aren't really showing and I didn't know what day the statement would cut (it was literally less than a week after I made the purchase - so I didn't expect it that fast.

Anyway - I know you guys have said - pay all cards to 0 - and let one show 10% -  What I'm wondering is if ALL cards show some balance (like $10-20 or so) and it totals less than 10% of my total cards $2000 ($500 each) - will it score the same?

I have to get those first statement to learn the cut dates...... then I can make sure its paid off a day ahead - except for one!

Hope that all makes sense....

All cards showing a balance is not good. There is no hard, defined breakpoint on how many of your cards can carry a balance without it hurting scores, but its generally assumed to be more than 1/3 to 1/2 of the total number of active open cards - hence the recommendation for 3 or more cards and one card carrying a balance. That will always put you in the ideal range no mater how many cards you have (assuming you have the three minimum).

BUT, always keep in mind that these sorts of UTI issues are VERY temporary bumps, as it can easily be corrected over the next report cycle, and it leaves no lasting damage.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks -

Since they are NEW cards - I've only received a statement on Discover - I don't know what the dates are - I charge something and then go pay it off within the next day or so - but didn't know it is would hurt if I missed.    I know UTIL is a snapshot and only effective at the time of the report - so next month it will be different - but wondered if the 10% mattered if it was on one card or across all them.  

Thanks again for the response.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks -

Since they are NEW cards - I've only received a statement on Discover - I don't know what the dates are - I charge something and then go pay it off within the next day or so - but didn't know it is would hurt if I missed.    I know UTIL is a snapshot and only effective at the time of the report - so next month it will be different - but wondered if the 10% mattered if it was on one card or across all them.  

Thanks again for the response.

I would assume that the ding for too many balances would be minor - a handful of points at worst. The real point loss comes when you get card reporting near max limit

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would assume that the ding for too many balances would be minor - a handful of points at worst. The real point loss comes when you get card reporting near max limit

I am NOT going to let that happen!   Just need to get a first run of statements so I can calendar the cut dates.    Discover is the 6th - now to wait for Chase and Cap Ones!

It's all a learning curve. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call them, they will tell you when the statement cuts each month. Ask them how long it will take payments to post, that way, you can be prepared for each card and its statement and what will report. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.