Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ugh, received two new collections today now what

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh, received two new collections today now what

This upcoming Friday was going to be a big day.  We were going to start our PFDs and pay all outstanding bills off that have not gone to collections yet.  Many of them are small medical bills from here and there and one was Verizon.  We have never received any type of collections letter from them just statements.  Friday I planned on calling and paying in full.  Well, guess what?  I got a two letters in the mail today and both are from a CA.  One is for the Verizon account and the other is for a $40 medical bill.  Is there anything I can do to avoid having the OC and both of these CA from reporting these to our CR since they have not done so yet? 

Did the process just become more difficult?  Do I have to get something in writing that states they won't report upon full payment which I was planning on giving them in 3 days!?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Ugh, received two new collections today now what

The simple answer is no.

The FCRA places no restrictions on when accurate information can be reported to a CRA.  That even includes reporting after the CR exclusion period has expired, even though it wont see the light of day in your CR.  Both can report on the same debt.... the OC reporting the debt and delinquencies themselves, and the debt collector reporting the separate act of their authorized collection activities.  A double-hit on the same debt.

Yes, it makes life more difficult.  The OC cannot, upon agreement to a PFD, promise deletion of any reporting done by a debt collector, and visa-versa.

If you PFD one and they accept, you still have to deal with a GW to the other.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I figuredSmiley Sad

Since they have not reported to any CRA as of yet and I just got my first notice can I somehow keep them from reporting with a full payment?  I read somewhere about a 30 day window once something goes to a collection where one can avoid having it go on the CR if paid quickly.  Don't recall where I saw that.  Think it was another forum.  Is that a myth?

BTW, thank you for your help, Robert.  It's very much appreciated.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, some have had success with a modified form of pay-for delete...

Request them to accept payment in exchange for not reporting.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.