Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uhhh ... what do I do now?

tag
Jesse3581
Established Member

Uhhh ... what do I do now?

So I'm rebuilding and cleaning.  I saw a collections for a company called Bull City Solutions for $171.  It's listed under "utilities".  I called, they said they didn't have the records/ account and sent me to Duke Energy.  I called Duke Energy and explained and they sent me back to Bull City.  Called Bull City and (they were annoyed), sent me back to Duke.  

Duke is willing to take payment and the CSR said that if I pay it'll be taken off my credit report.

She didn't seem to like my suggestion that I have something like that in writing before paying.

Your recommendations?

Pay Duke and hope?

Or dispute?

$1750$5200$2000$7500$2000$2000
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Uhhh ... what do I do now?

DV letter to the CA, and/or... if you want it gone, and the OC is willing to delete for payment. Ask them to put it in writing if possible..nicely. OCs typically retract collections, if they take direct payments.

Message 2 of 23
Jerzee123
Established Member

If bull city said they didnt have your records or the account ,why would you pay? and  how can she delete it off your report if she really doesnt have your info??????

http://www.capitalone.com/media/graphic-logo/credit-cards/card-art/price-mc-90-angle.jpg
https://ne.edgecastcdn.net/80033E/www.creditkarma.com/res/content/creditcards/creditoneb/cccreditonebank01_big.png
Message 3 of 23
Jerzee123
Established Member

seems shady ......i dont know

http://www.capitalone.com/media/graphic-logo/credit-cards/card-art/price-mc-90-angle.jpg
https://ne.edgecastcdn.net/80033E/www.creditkarma.com/res/content/creditcards/creditoneb/cccreditonebank01_big.png
Message 4 of 23
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Jerzee123 wrote:

If bull city said they didnt have your records or the account ,why would you pay? and  how can she delete it off your report if she really doesnt have your info??????

Good point, but keep in mind that a dispute will refresh, and it's a 50/50 that they won't find anything. Just because it's not accessible by computer immediately doesn't mean there's a hard record, or backup system with the info (which would cause continued/updated reporting).

Message 5 of 23
lmfields84
Regular Contributor

Honestly,  I would take my chances and dispute directly with the CRA's.  If they can't find the info for you, they probably won't find it for them... if the dispute comes back unchanged status, then DV them- they cannot collect on something they have no records of.

Our 2014 Rebuilding Log- Check Out Our Progress!
In Our Wallet: NFCU Cash Rewards $14k | NFCU LOC $15k | NFCU LOC $12k | NFCU Platinum Visa $8.5k | NFCU Platinum MC $1k Discover IT $1400 | Walmart Store Card $1.4k | Synchrony $1k | ToysRUs $500
Message 6 of 23
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@lmfields84 wrote:

Honestly,  I would take my chances and dispute directly with the CRA's.  If they can't find the info for you, they probably won't find it for them... if the dispute comes back unchanged status, then DV them- they cannot collect on something they have no records of.

Dispute under what grounds? Not once have I seen OP say it's not theirs.

Message 7 of 23
lmfields84
Regular Contributor

Dispute because the CA may not be legally able to collect on it-  I did leave out that I would pay the bill to Duke Energy first.  If you know it is yours, pay the OC- but I definitely would not want a CA on my reports that cant even give a straight answer about the validity of a debt- regardless if I know it is mine or not.  Pay it to Duke and go from there.

In Our Wallet: NFCU Cash Rewards $14k | NFCU LOC $15k | NFCU LOC $12k | NFCU Platinum Visa $8.5k | NFCU Platinum MC $1k Discover IT $1400 | Walmart Store Card $1.4k | Synchrony $1k | ToysRUs $500
Message 8 of 23
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@lmfields84 wrote:

Dispute because the CA may not be legally able to collect on it-  I did leave out that I would pay the bill to Duke Energy first.  If you know it is yours, pay the OC- but I definitely would not want a CA on my reports that cant even give a straight answer about the validity of a debt- regardless if I know it is mine or not.  Pay it to Duke and go from there.

In my prior statement, most OCs will retract CA. That's why I said to DV the CA, and pay OC.

Message 9 of 23
lmfields84
Regular Contributor

I agree with you.  However, MOST OC's will retract, not ALL- I am dealing with this right now myself and it is a pain.  You're right though, once it is paid with the OC the CA will probably delete if you DV them since they have nothing to collect on. 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.