Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized Credit Inquiry

tag
EDub357
Frequent Contributor

Re: Unauthorized Credit Inquiry

What state puts your SS# on your drivers license?  That seems like a recipe for disaster

Message 11 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Since 2004, none.

But before that there were several that did.  Mine had it and still does.

Message 12 of 13
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

SSN is just one, albiet the most common, identifier used to request a credit report, based on its supposed unique identifier status.

Some consumers dont even have an SSN.

A full name and address is usualy sifficient to identity the consumer and obtan their credit report.

+1

I signed up for Comcast services over the weekend.  To avoid a hard credit inquiry, I opted to pay a $50 fee/deposit.  Notably, I did not provide Comcast with my social security number.  However, I did provide them with my date of birth, a prior mailing address and my drivers liscense number.  

Yesterday evening I received an alert from ScoreWatch informing me of a new credit inquiry from Comcast-Chicago.  I contacted Comcast's sales department and spoke with a supervisor who verified that my credit was pulled despite not providing a social security number and paying the $50 fee/deposit.  The supervisor also confirmed that my credit did meet their guidelines so no deposit would have been required.

I decided to pay the $50 fee and forgo the hard credit inquiry becuase I plan to apply for  a mortgage soon.  I have filed a complaint with the BBB as well as sent an email to several of Comcast's executives.  

I just woke up a few moments ago and noticed that I already have a response from Comcast asking that I give them a call.  

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.