Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized Inquiries?

tag
joymonica79
Valued Member

Unauthorized Inquiries?

I pulled my CRs and noticed that there are inquiries from AmEx & Citi. I did not apply for anything from these lenders and its showing as a Hard Pull. What should I do? If writing them an inquiry removal letter is the way to go, how much personal information should I include? Its quite obvious that they have some of my personal information already.

Starting Score: EQ 601 TU 593 12/2010
Current Score: EQ 707 TU 673 EX 677 via PSECU as of 9/3/2011
Goal Score: 730 by 11/2011

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Thunderseven
Regular Contributor

Re: Unauthorized Inquiries?

Joy,

I didn't see where you got a reply to your question.  If not, I found a sample letter that may help you.  You can use it as a template and modify it as you see fit.  Hope it helps.  Have you tried calling the CRA's that are posting the inquiry?  Good luck!!!

Your Name __________
Your Address __________
Your Phone # __________

Credit Bureau's Name ________________
Credit Bureau's address ________________

Date __________

Dear Sir or Madam,

RE: Investigation of unauthorized inquiries

During a regular check of my personal credit report, which I acquired from your organization on [insert date of report], I noticed some unauthorized inquiries had been made.

I have tried to contact the concerned organization, who conducted the inquiries and asked them to remove credit inquiries from my credit profile. I have asked them to cease their illegal activities with immediate effect but with no results. Since I sent the letters more than 30 business days ago, they have failed to respond to and honor my request.

Therefore, I am forced to request your help in resolving this matter. In accordance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act, I request that you start an investigation into the matter. After the investigation is complete, if you find my allegations to be correct, please remove the unauthorized inquiries and send me a fresh copy of my credit report at my current address. If you find the inquiries referenced above to be correct, kindly send me a description of the operation used in your investigation within 15 business days of the completion of the re-investigation.

Sincerely,

Your Signature ___________________________

Your Name _______________________________

Thunderseven.....TU-8 835 (11/02/2023) EQ-8 822 (11/02/2023) EX-8 828 (11/02/2023) I don't ask for much, the truth will do just fine....
Message 2 of 5
joymonica79
Valued Member

Thanks a Bunch!! This really helps!

Starting Score: EQ 601 TU 593 12/2010
Current Score: EQ 707 TU 673 EX 677 via PSECU as of 9/3/2011
Goal Score: 730 by 11/2011

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
IOBA
Senior Contributor

You should also opt out on the CB.   The CB's might have sold your information to those ccc because fit a certain credit profile they were looking for.  And since you met the profile, the ccc pulled your credit before deciding to offer or not to offer credit to you.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In order to pull your CR, the inquiree must provide a "permissible purpose" under at least one provision of FCRA 604(a).

When inquiry is made with the CRA, the inquiree must submit a statement of certification under FCRA 604(f)(2) that the purpose of the inquiry qualifies as a permissible purpose under FCRA FCRA 604(a).  The CRA does not question such certifications.

The reason provided by the inquiree is usually not included in commercial, consumer credit reports.  To this, or any other item of information in your credit file, you can simply send the CRA a request for that infomation under the provisions of FCRA 609(a)(1).  Such requests require payment of the fee under FCRA 612(f), which is currently $10.50.

It is kinda difficult to dispute the existence of a permissible purpose of a credit inquiry until you frst know the reason offered.

If you do dispute, you cant use the direct dispute process under FCRA 623(a)(8).  The implemening rules for the direct dispute specifically excludes credit report inquiry issues from use of direct dispute.  So you mist use the CRA dispute process under FCRA 611(a)

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.