Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized inquiries and GWs for lates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unauthorized inquiries and GWs for lates

How can I get inquiries removed? I did not initiate these requests for credit. They are killing my credit scores.Also, how do i get 120 day late/charge off from JCPenney (June 2006) off Equifax and Transunion? and how do i remove 2- 30 day lates (mar 2004 and Feb 2008) from MACYs off my credit reports. I hears about good will letters, but what would i write to get all these things removed?
Message Edited by llecs on 02-21-2009 11:37 PM
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Unauthorized inquiries and GWs for lates

OP, I split your post to form a new one here. I had to edit the title, but changed nothing else. If you'd like to change the title, click "Options" and then "Edit Message".

What were the inquiries for?

Do a search in here for GW letters and you'll find some great examples. Aside from searching, I think there is a thread stickied listing Frequently Requested threads and GW Letters are one of those.
Message Edited by llecs on 02-21-2009 11:41 PM
Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, I split your post to form a new one here. I had to edit the title, but changed nothing else. If you'd like to change the title, click "Options" and then "Edit Message".

What were the inquiries for?

Do a search in here for GW letters and you'll find some great examples. Aside from searching, I think there is a thread stickied listing Frequently Requested threads and GW Letters are one of those.
Message Edited by llecs on 02-21-2009 11:41 PM
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

There were various reasons: some were from mortgage reporters (when i did not have a mortgage nor shopped for one at that time) named Credit Plus (2 of those); and CIS,Inc and Kroll Factual Data and Landsafe CRT (4 of them) and Royal MTG CR. A few of them are named FAC (3 of those) which describes it as a miscellaneous and public record; same goes for a company called CBD and Platinum CR and another one named Sterling CR and alnother named First AMer CR SVCS, INC.  Then there is a SEARS/CBSD described as a complete department store (makes no sense since I already have a Sears card since 1997) and another from CITI described as BAnk Credit Card (which I never applied for). I have no clue why they were able to access my credit report. I have 22 on Experian and 14 on Transunion.
Message 3 of 9
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Mzindependant....Are you certain those are "hard" inquiries??  If so, what time frame do they cover?  You have none of those inq on EQ?

Question:  Your scores in your sig...do those reflect your current situation, like balances & utilization?Is your overall util high? 80 & 90ish %?  Or do you have a mid # like 40-60%?  Or very low? 10-20%?

If not for the inq, would your scores all be in the mid or high 700's?

I'm just trying to get a clearer picture.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The timeframes vary but are within the last 12 months. EQ has NONE of those inquiries, I actually have no inquiries on EQ at all! My scors in my sig DO reflect the inquiries when I last puled them on Jan 23, 2009. My overall util is at 50% approx. I am not sure if my score would be in the mid or high 700s without the inquiries that is what I'm thinking will happen; that my scores will increase without all these inquiries.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tough one...but they can do it.  Pretty much anyone can pull someone's credit, with or without permission.

In the past, I have contacted each of the companies that did inquiries.  Asked them why they did it and asked that they stop doing it.

One creditor, Captial One, was pulling every single month.  They insisted I must have a loan with them or a cc.  I did not.  Once that was verified -- that I truly did not do business with them - they said oh well.  I said no, we need to figure this out.  It took an hour, but I learned that my ex had listed me as an authorized user (Smiley Sad) gotten a CLI, then removed me.  Since they were concerned about HIS ability to pay, they kept tabs on me.  Mind you, I had NO cc with them, did not apply for one, and did not ask to be an authorized user.  Capital One even acknowledged that the cc that had been issued to me, in my name, to his address, had been cancelled shortly after they issued it.

It took some legal language, but they stopped pulling my credit. 

1.  Opt out of the information release that is done by most companies, such as cc's, insurance companies, etc.

2.  Pull your report, call everyone on the list.  Ask them why, tell them no.  By law, if you tell them to stop and they have no legitimate reason (such as a cc or insurance company) to pull the credit, they must. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The timeframes vary but are within the last 12 months. EQ has NONE of those inquiries, I actually have no inquiries on EQ at all! My scors in my sig DO reflect the inquiries when I last puled them on Jan 23, 2009. My overall util is at 50% approx. I am not sure if my score would be in the mid or high 700s without the inquiries that is what I'm thinking will happen; that my scores will increase without all these inquiries.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was trying to help my adult son buy a car. The dealership called and asked me to cosign & I said they could try 3 specific banks/institutions. I did not sign any forms and only gave permission for those 3 banks. Instead, they ran 21 inquiries on my credit in 3 days including Suzuki Finance hit my credit 4 times in 2 days. I called the dealership and he didn't care. I have tried to get CSC to remove them by mail and they just keep sending me copies of my credit report. I spoke to another finance manager at my dealership and he said it's a scam called "power search" and that dealerships try everyone regardless of what you tell them.

Question: Can I get these removed or is CSC playing a scam on me? Or like all other deals like this, do I have to get a lawyer to do what I should be able to do? Thanks for any and all help

Message 8 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Billy2me wrote:

I was trying to help my adult son buy a car. The dealership called and asked me to cosign & I said they could try 3 specific banks/institutions. I did not sign any forms and only gave permission for those 3 banks. Instead, they ran 21 inquiries on my credit in 3 days including Suzuki Finance hit my credit 4 times in 2 days. I called the dealership and he didn't care. I have tried to get CSC to remove them by mail and they just keep sending me copies of my credit report. I spoke to another finance manager at my dealership and he said it's a scam called "power search" and that dealerships try everyone regardless of what you tell them.

Question: Can I get these removed or is CSC playing a scam on me? Or like all other deals like this, do I have to get a lawyer to do what I should be able to do? Thanks for any and all help

You certainly could fight it, however, your score didn't suffer any. Per FICO scoring, all car or mortgage inquiries pulled within a 14 or 30 day period (depending on the CRA and version of score used) all count as one single inquiry per your FICO score. So, if the dealer pulled your report(s) 21 times, then you are only taking a hit for one of those inquiries. This is included into FICO scoring because the avg. consumer will go around and try to get the best deal on a new car or home.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.