Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding fall off dates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Understanding fall off dates

As part of my repair journey, I now have all collections and charge offs paid and removed.  Now I have 4 accounts with lates (30,60,90) that I need to work on. GW letters aren't working, I've heard no twice for every account.  My next solution...look at removing them by disputing "too old" - which begs the question: Is the 7 year period from date of last payment? Or date of first delinquency? Below shows I was first late in 08, but settled in 2012. When will this come off? Would it be worth disputing as too old?

YearJanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
2012COCOCOCOCOCOCO*    
2011COCOCOCOCOCOCOCOCOCOCOCO
201030*****306090120120*
2009****30****30**
2008*******30***30
2007   *********

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Understanding fall off dates

@Anonymous wrote:

As part of my repair journey, I now have all collections and charge offs paid and removed.  Now I have 4 accounts with lates (30,60,90) that I need to work on. GW letters aren't working, I've heard no twice for every account.  My next solution...look at removing them by disputing "too old" - which begs the question: Is the 7 year period from date of last payment? Or date of first delinquency? Below shows I was first late in 08, but settled in 2012. When will this come off? Would it be worth disputing as too old? The max time it can be on file is 7.5 yrs from Jul 2010.

2012COCOCOCOCOCOCO*    
201030*****306090120120*
2009****30****30**
2008*******30***30
2007   *********

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Gdale. I was thinking that'd be the answer, but wanted to make sure. Guess I'll be waiting until 2017 - as Cap 1 will not budge on the GW delete. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As part of my repair journey, I now have all collections and charge offs paid and removed.  Now I have 4 accounts with lates (30,60,90) that I need to work on. GW letters aren't working, I've heard no twice for every account.  My next solution...look at removing them by disputing "too old" - which begs the question: Is the 7 year period from date of last payment? Or date of first delinquency? Below shows I was first late in 08, but settled in 2012. When will this come off? Would it be worth disputing as too old? The max time it can be on file is 7.5 yrs from Jul 2010.

2012COCOCOCOCOCOCO*    
201030*****306090120120*
2009****30****30**
2008*******30***30
2007   *********

That will determine the fall off date of the CO - after which the account will either show as a positive account, or it will dissapear entirely. However, each individual late will drop off 7 years from its occurrance. So you should see the earliest 30 day late dissapear this summer.

Message 4 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

2012COCOCOCOCOCOCO*    
201030*****306090120120*
2009****30****30**
2008*******30***30
2007   *********

That will determine the fall off date of the CO - after which the account will either show as a positive account, or it will dissapear entirely. However, each individual late will drop off 7 years from its occurrance. So you should see the earliest 30 day late dissapear this summer.

A CO can never return to a positive account, once it becomes a CO its always a CO.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you cant ask for an early exclusion with TU for example until 7 years exactly? Or 6.5 years?
Message 6 of 12
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

You can start asking at 6.5 years.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

2012COCOCOCOCOCOCO*    
201030*****306090120120*
2009****30****30**
2008*******30***30
2007   *********

A CO can never return to a positive account, once it becomes a CO its always a CO.

A point we will have to agree to disagree on I suppose. It has been stated by a number of people that OC accounts themselves are not exluded at the 7.5 year mark - only the derogatories. They may remain or they may be deleted - it seems to be at the discretion of the OC.

Either way, the individual lates will fall off individually, at their year mark. All of them should be gone by the time the CO hits the 7.5 years mark from its DoFD of july 2010

Message 8 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Exclusion of derogs is not based simply on a DOFD.

The only purpose of DOFD is to set the begin of the 7 years plus 180 day exclusion period for a charge-off or a collection.

Monthly derogs each have their own individual exclusion dates that are 7 years from their dates of occurence.

As an aside, the original post states that all COs and collections have been removed, however the posted payment history profile shows a CO.

It thus appears that all COs have not, in fact, been deleted.

The posted payment history profile is not sufficient in and of itself to determine the DOFD, as the months marked with an asterisk are not clear.

They could designate that the acount was brought back into good standing that month, or they could designate that the creditor simply did not report.

The later is apparently the case in view of the asterisk shown for 12/2010, separating a 120-late from a CO.  It thus appears to be a non-reporting month rather than a statement that the account was returned to good standing.

DOFD could thus possibly be as early as 08/2008 in the payment history summary reported.

Additionally, the first reported 30-late is not necessarily the DOFD.  The creditor could have delayed in reportting of the first derog.  One cannot simply infer from a reported payment history profile the actual date of first delinquency.  That is why the FCRA requires the creditor to explicitly and separately report it.

DOFD is required to be reported to the CRA by the OC within 90days after reporting of a charge-off, and by a debt collector within 90 days after reporting of theri collection.

Disputing a delinquency as "too old" is not a valid reason to dispute until after the delinquency has passed 7 years from its date of occurence. Seeking earlier exclusion is not a reason to assert inaccuracy in their reporting.  It is a form of good-will request to the CRA for their earlier administrative handling.

Message 9 of 12
New_Beginning
Frequent Contributor

I have a question in regards to fall off dates. I have two old CO's scheduled to continue on record until May 2015, do CRA's usually remove these items the beginning of the month, middle of the month or the end of the month? I guess I am just excited because all this year the baddies are falling off!!!  I have a couple of hiccups in 2013 that will remain until 2020, but the major adversities come off this year! Please advise...thanks! 

Starting Score: EQ 615 (MyFICO) TU 588 (Walmart) EX 576 (EX Website) Started this journey 06/26/2014
Current Score: EQ 710 (MyFICO) TU 673 (Walmart) TU 726 (MyFICO) EX 706 (MyFICO) As of Sep 2015
Goal Score: 750 or higher across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.