Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unemployed and Divorce

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unemployed and Divorce

I got laid off from a job in 2010 (took me 3 years to find another!).  In the meantime, my husband and I separated (late 2011) and filed for divorce (final in January 2014).  Long story short, I had no job, no spouse, moved in with family and no way to pay my bills (unemployment ran out in January 2012. I even resorted to applying and getting SNAP benefits for a short time). I ended up enrolling with a debt settlement company and they have done a great job getting me out of debt.  It is now late 2014.  I have gotten back on my feet, but now my credit stinks (it was great before my life took a nosedive).  I just checked my credit reports and my debt is listed as charge-offs.  I currently have one secured credit card to help me rebuild my credit.  Is there any other way to rebuild my credit back to a good standing? Can I write to the different credit bureaus and explain my situation? Would it make a difference?  I really had no choice and didn't want to go the bankruptcy route.  I would like to purchase a new(er) car in the next few months.  It's not really fair that my ex-husband got to keep his good credit rating (mostly because of me during our marriage) because he has a good paying job.  I got no help from him during our separation (it took me 9 months to get any child support, let alone him helping me out).  These credit cards were just in my name (we had individual and joint accounts).  I also made sure that any joint credit accounts were closed after we separated.  I'm sure that hurt too.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Unemployed and Divorce

@Anonymous wrote:

I got laid off from a job in 2010 (took me 3 years to find another!).  In the meantime, my husband and I separated (late 2011) and filed for divorce (final in January 2014).  Long story short, I had no job, no spouse, moved in with family and no way to pay my bills (unemployment ran out in January 2012. I even resorted to applying and getting SNAP benefits for a short time). I ended up enrolling with a debt settlement company and they have done a great job getting me out of debt.  It is now late 2014.  I have gotten back on my feet, but now my credit stinks (it was great before my life took a nosedive).  I just checked my credit reports and my debt is listed as charge-offs.  I currently have one secured credit card to help me rebuild my credit.  Is there any other way to rebuild my credit back to a good standing? Can I write to the different credit bureaus and explain my situation? Would it make a difference?  I really had no choice and didn't want to go the bankruptcy route.  I would like to purchase a new(er) car in the next few months.  It's not really fair that my ex-husband got to keep his good credit rating (mostly because of me during our marriage) because he has a good paying job.  I got no help from him during our separation (it took me 9 months to get any child support, let alone him helping me out).  These credit cards were just in my name (we had individual and joint accounts).  I also made sure that any joint credit accounts were closed after we separated.  I'm sure that hurt too.

Welcome to the forum 

To get you help we need more info 

Who are the CO/CA?

What was the DofD?

Have you pulled your yearly free credit reports? If not please do and give us as much info as you can 

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/requestReport/landingPage.action;jsessionid=AjecswrxitgpKOb9nk8Rba5y1FYf7AAknoCBGKqg

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.