Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unemployment Judgments/Tax Liens

tag
tieton
New Contributor

Unemployment Judgments/Tax Liens

Anyone have any experience with these? I have a non-fraudelent, paid judgment that was filed 8/2008 for overpayment of unemployment benefits through WA State. It was paid in 2010. The problem is, it is listed as a "judgment" on Experian and as a "tax lien" on TU and EQ. The obvious issue being that on EX it is set to fall off July of next year, and on EQ/TU it is set to fall of 7/2017, since for tax liens it is 7+ years from the date it is paid. I don't know if this is a catergorization error and it will fall off of all 3 bureaus next year, regardless of how it is listed, or if I'm stuck with this on EQ and TU for an extra two years. That doesn't seem right to me. Also, this thing just popped up on my reports one day in 2008 without any sort of service of complaint and summons, or any other notice to file a judgment. I was already making payments on the amount when they filed it, which I don't understand. I called and spoke to a rep back then and she tried to reassure me, saying that is just what the department did so that they can garnish wages if it becomes necessary. It didn't reassure me LOL. I feel like I got kinda screwed on this deal. Even though it is a state entity, do they not still need to abide by the law and offer the same due process of any other judgment or lien? Because of the lack of service or notice of intent, do I have any legal foot to stand on to have this thing removed from my reports? I guess I can live with it for another year or 3 if I have to. I'd prefer not to. Smiley Frustrated Thank God my unemployment days are behind me . . . at least until the next national financial crisis.

Starting Score (FICO): 420s (OUCH!) across the board. 2/2010 mortgage lender pull. Needless to say, didn't get approved.
Current Score (FICO 11/11/14): EX 709, EQ 696, TU 724
Goal Score: 720+ for EQ AND EX!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Unemployment Judgments/Tax Liens

@tieton wrote:

Anyone have any experience with these? I have a non-fraudelent, paid judgment that was filed 8/2008 for overpayment of unemployment benefits through WA State. It was paid in 2010. The problem is, it is listed as a "judgment" on Experian and as a "tax lien" on TU and EQ. The obvious issue being that on EX it is set to fall off July of next year, and on EQ/TU it is set to fall of 7/2017, since for tax liens it is 7+ years from the date it is paid. I don't know if this is a catergorization error and it will fall off of all 3 bureaus next year, regardless of how it is listed, or if I'm stuck with this on EQ and TU for an extra two years. That doesn't seem right to me. Also, this thing just popped up on my reports one day in 2008 without any sort of service of complaint and summons, or any other notice to file a judgment. I was already making payments on the amount when they filed it, which I don't understand. I called and spoke to a rep back then and she tried to reassure me, saying that is just what the department did so that they can garnish wages if it becomes necessary. It didn't reassure me LOL. I feel like I got kinda screwed on this deal. Even though it is a state entity, do they not still need to abide by the law and offer the same due process of any other judgment or lien? Because of the lack of service or notice of intent, do I have any legal foot to stand on to have this thing removed from my reports? I guess I can live with it for another year or 3 if I have to. I'd prefer not to. Smiley Frustrated Thank God my unemployment days are behind me . . . at least until the next national financial crisis.

You caught a break on EX UI repayments are considered tax liens. Now, what I would do is contact the issuing entity and ask for a lien withdrawl, I would make your case on the fact that you were paying it already prior to the lien being filed and its completely paid off. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 12
tieton
New Contributor

I knew I liked EX for a reason! Smiley Wink Awesome, thanks for your input. I will give that a go. Issuing entity meaning the court or the unemployement office itself?

Starting Score (FICO): 420s (OUCH!) across the board. 2/2010 mortgage lender pull. Needless to say, didn't get approved.
Message 3 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@tieton wrote:

I knew I liked EX for a reason! Smiley Wink Awesome, thanks for your input. I will give that a go. Issuing entity meaning the court or the unemployement office itself?

The issuing entity is the one who is reporting the lien on your reports, most likely the State of WA taxing authorities.

Message 4 of 12
tieton
New Contributor

Gotca, thanks for the info gdale6!

Message 5 of 12
amber78
Contributor

I have the same issue... we have been attempting to get a paid Lien off  my BFs CR for the past six months. I did contact WI unemployment and they told me all they needed to do was report that it was paid and refused to do anything further. We had thought about taking it to court, but the case was just read in, no real judgement was filed, so we arent sure it can actually be dismissed.

I tried sending the PIF paperwork to the CBs so far no luck.

PLEASE let me know if you find something that work!

PAST SCORES: Experian FAKO
511 (12/01/13), 591E(05/02/14), 628 (05/07/2014)
CURRENT SCORE: 658 (08/15/2014)
Filed CH7 04/2014 & Discharged 08/2014
Goal Score: 720
In my wallet: CapitalOne Plat. $700 (07/2014), Capitalone QuickSilver $2,000 (09/2014)
Message 6 of 12
tieton
New Contributor

Sorry to hear about that amber78, it sure can be sticky that's for sure. I'm sure that I will probably get the same response as you did. Basically, "Go pound sand." LOL, I'm wondering if communicating via letter versus a telephone call wouldn't be better? The people at Employment Security Department have always been really nice, but it seems like letters do a much more effective job than calls, with issues like these. *Shrug* I will definiltey let you know!

Message 7 of 12
mzgg09
Regular Contributor

I know i'm a little late. But wanted to share with you guys my experience. Hoping it would help u out in anyway. I had an overpayment for unemployment. It was for less than $300. But I made a payment. And didn't get a chance to pay the balance before they rapidly opened a state tax lien on me. By this time they had already taken the balance off my state tax refund. I thought all was squared away. But then comes the lien on all reports. At first I had no idea who had put a state tax lien on me. All I kept thinking was that I had paid all my taxes. But anywho, first thing I did was send a nice little letter to my state tax commission letting them know about their policies and timing and lack of communication. I got a call on the phone from some  guy there that said i would soon get a letter showing the lien was cancelled. And I can show that to credit agencies. Now I don't know if there is a difference in the jargon of cancelled, released, withdrawn or whatever. Or if its all the same just worded differently...that has determined my outcome. To make a long story, i did get copy of cancellation letter that was sent to the court. I made copies and was ready to battle credit agencies. Before I did that, i had read that someone on here disputed it as not theirs or something to that affect. At this point what did I have to lose. So i did online disputes with all 3. And to my surprise all 3 deleted within 2 weeks. Just a little encouragement for ya. Don't give up.

Experian 750 Equifax 750 Transunion 753
Message 8 of 12
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

^AGREE
Message 9 of 12
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

Ask for an Expungement or a lien lift....
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.