Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unique Medical Collections Ques

tag
Jenmerie
Valued Member

Unique Medical Collections Ques

I asked this before a long time ago, but now things have started to change.

To reiterate:

I'm in college and I have bluecross blue shield before I enrolled.  When I began college, somehow I got another insurance company in addition to BCBS, this new insurance company became my primary.  Now, throughout my college years I have had some doctor visits and went to the hospital.  Neither insurance company wanted to pay for my bills and all of my medical visits have became collections on my credit report.   (THIS WAS MY INITIAL PROBLEM)

Now, all of sudden recently some of the bills are being paid, all of them haven't been paid yet, but two of the five have so far.  My credit report doesn't seem to be updated yet on the two that have been paid.  My question is, what do I do now?  Should I follow the hippa process? on the ones that have been paid? what about the ones that have not?  Advice please.

I need a comeback
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jenmerie
Valued Member

Re: Unique Medical Collections Ques

Sorry, don't mean to bump this but I was curious about this still.  Thanks to anyone who can help.
I need a comeback
Message 2 of 6
WanaDoBetter
Valued Member

I am curious. Why didn't the insurance companies pay? Who was the second insurance company? Where you the primary person on the policy? Was it some type of student policy? Do you know for a fact that the doctors/hospitals billed the insurance companies? Was the amount not paid your deductible or co-pays? Believe it or not the reason for most insurance company problems are the result of incorrect bills from the doctors. The insurance companies claim payments are for the most part computerized. If the doctor put the wrong code down that doesn't match the diagnosis that the claim will get denied. With a little more info I might be able to help. (I work in the insurance industry). Finally, always keep in mind you have a state insurance commissioner that may be able to help. The BCBS plan, is it with a large employer group? Is it a self funded plan?
Message 3 of 6
Homebuyer24
Valued Member

I don't really have an answer to your questions but if there are outstanding bills, try to deal with the doctor's office or health company to get it resolved.  If you have double coverage, one is supposed to be the primary and should cover the costs.  The bills should be covered except for co-pays/deductibles etc . . . I had student health insurance and it was really terrible.  Some universities have great plans, mine sucked--thankfully I worked part-time on campus and got onto the health plan for employees vs students.

I had lab work done via Quest and twice I had billing nightmares that went to a collection agency.  One time, my student insurance refused to pay.  Turns out someone accidentally checked the wrong gender box at the doctor's office where the labs were ordered.  I tried to deal with my insurance, the lab, finally my doctor's office--by the time the bill was finally paid by the insurance it had gone to collections twice.

Another time Quest did 2 lab tests (exact same) same day and everything--with different results (but close enough).  I only wanted to pay for one test and was told that the doctor ordered the test to be done twice and my doctor was like, no, he did not order repeat tests done on me on the same blood sample (sent in one vial).  It took about 6 months for them to agree to only bill me once.  

Back then I didn't have a lot of money so an extra $500 to pay upfront when I knew insurance should pay or due to their mistakes I didn't have.  None of this is on my credit report but I think it should be easier to battle medical bill mistakes cause they can be rampant.  

Message 4 of 6
Jenmerie
Valued Member

I appreciate the responsesSmiley Happy   

I believe the reason they didn't want to pay was because I didn't follow protocol.  I had NO IDEA this insurance company (MegaLife) became my primary until after the fact.  However, they said to me that must be referred to a doctor by the infirmary before actually going.  Now, I had three hospital visits in that time...I don't live close to campus (over an hour away) so going to the infirmary for an emergency was out of the question. So it seems like they have started to pay my emergency visits, but not my doctor visits.  And my doctor visits are doctors I have been going to since before I even enrolled...  My mother usually handled all that stuff for me since i'm on her and my father's insurance , but now I want to buy a car and this is a problem.

WanaDoBetter: I believe the BCBS is under the USDA where my father works  

I need a comeback
Message 5 of 6
WanaDoBetter
Valued Member

Mega Life should have issues what is called and explanation of Benefits. (EOB) Did you try and file those with BCBS? Do you know if any of the doctors or Hospitals filled with BCBS? How long ago did this happen?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.