Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universal Recovery bites the dust for no current license

tag
virgo
Established Contributor

Universal Recovery bites the dust for no current license

Can we hear an Amen!  Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

For those who don't know the story. Universal Recovery placed a bogus item on my TU. I called, wrote threatened, to no avail.  Then I called the city where they do business and found out they do not have a current business license. ie; no license, you can't do business and whatever that entails. How hard is that to follow?

Called a higher up at TU (pm me for his info) and he tried to tell me how wrong I was but that he would check into it.  Literally, 5 minutes later, he calls and says he removed the account and is sending me a letter. 

That sucker cost me 80 points!  But as bad as it looked on my credit report, it was tantamount to extortion. I don't pay extortion. Period. 

So pony up people and storm the citadel!  O'kay, maybe too much. You know what I mean. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Universal Recovery bites the dust for no current license

@virgo wrote:

Can we hear an Amen!  Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

For those who don't know the story. Universal Recovery placed a bogus item on my TU. I called, wrote threatened, to no avail.  Then I called the city where they do business and found out they do not have a current business license. ie; no license, you can't do business and whatever that entails. How hard is that to follow?

Called a higher up at TU (pm me for his info) and he tried to tell me how wrong I was but that he would check into it.  Literally, 5 minutes later, he calls and says he removed the account and is sending me a letter. 

That sucker cost me 80 points!  But as bad as it looked on my credit report, it was tantamount to extortion. I don't pay extortion. Period. 

So pony up people and storm the citadel!  O'kay, maybe too much. You know what I mean. 

Off with their heads!!!

Message 2 of 17
virgo
Established Contributor

Yeah, no kidding.  The guy at TU is trying to tell me it doesn't matter that they don't have a business license.  What?

What TU guy said: We have extensive measures to ensure that the companies that reoport to us have all their licensures. 

What I heard:  If their check clears, they can report to us. They don't need no stinkin' license.

So I tell him, you are now on notice that you are allowing a company with a expired license to report to you.  If you continue with this reporting, you are culpable.

Then he tries to be my friend and let me know that it wouldn't matter if this is removed, they will just sell it to another Ca. Awww. He cares. 

So , like I said, not 5 minutes later, TU guy calls and tells me it has been removed.    

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

So did your scores rebound, or did you gain 80pts from this? They werent licensed in thier city or your state?

Message 4 of 17
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Good job in staying diligent! 

Congrats. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 5 of 17
virgo
Established Contributor

California doesn't require a state license to operate a CA  but the state portal says that a company still must comply with local laws and all cities require a general business license.

I have actually been fighting UR since September 2014 when it first appeared on my CR. It was just this morning that I decided to call the TU guy.    

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the state of Michigan and its required here. 3 collection agency's appear on my credit report that are not licensed in my state. I have asked them for their license numbers and searched for them on our att gen website for licensed businesses and they do not pop up. I called consumer affairs in Michigan and the companies do not possess licenses. So should i contact the credit bureausto remove it from the report?
Message 7 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm in the state of Michigan and its required here. 3 collection agency's appear on my credit report that are not licensed in my state. I have asked them for their license numbers and searched for them on our att gen website for licensed businesses and they do not pop up. I called consumer affairs in Michigan and the companies do not possess licenses. So should i contact the credit bureausto remove it from the report?

I would be sending the CAs an ITS (Intent to sue) letter for violating state collection laws with a demand for immediate deletion.

Message 8 of 17
virgo
Established Contributor

gdale is right.

And when you notify the CB's don't let them stonewall you by telling you that it will take 30 days to remove.  That is an internal number that the CB's decided on amongst themselves. It is not law.  It takes a matter of minutes to be removed. Tell them you are not going to wait 30 days and the person you're speaking to, their name will be on the summons.

These CA's are the CB's bread and butter, they pay to report to the CB's so they are going defend them to the death.

They can plead ignorance all they want, but once you put them on notice that these CA's are not licensed per law, and they continue to allow them to report, they are culpable of propagating illegal activity.

We dont get alot of tread when we claim these CA's are violating our rights, but once you start screaming that they are violating the states rights (no license) they can and will be in a whole lot of hurt.

The CA in my case only violated city jurisdiction.  In your case, it is your state. Go get'em. 

And remember, CB's are just businesses operated by everyday people.  They have no more authority or protection then anybody else.   

Just checked.  It is already off my report.  No bump up. See how damaging this is. You can lose 80 pts in a heartbeat, but it takes forever to get it back.  That is their leverage.

timeline:  spoke with TU guy yesterday and it is off my report as of today.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

So in other owrds, notify the credit bueras first? Then the collection angency, or do i have that backwards? lol sorry for all the questions. The companies are licensed in thier respective states, just not my state. They are from a neighboring state. I spoke with the ATTGEN office, and they said i have basis to file a complaint. They will notify the CA that they are in violation of michigan law. They either have to get licensed or sell off the account. generally speaking, how long does it take a new company to pick it up? Im in the proccess of buying a home and i dont want my score to tank again from a new collection company repoting it on my credit report...again....is that even possible?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.