Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown paid collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unknown paid collection

I realized today that I had a paid collection on my Experian report and had never heard of the CA. When I went to turn on Cox Cable service June 2016, they said I had a previous balance from 2012 which I was unaware of, but paid. Today I found that RGS Financial apparently had this account and it is now showing as Closed - Paid. I've never heard of this company, or even realized I had an outstanding balance until Cox told me last year. Now that I paid Cox last year, is there anyway to get this CA to remove this from my CR? Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Unknown paid collection

If you paid the asserted debt, that is prima facie acknowledgement of the debt.

If the creditor or business assigned collection authority to a debt collector prior to your payment of the debt, then yes, the debt collector is authorized to report the collection to a CRA.  It is rare for a debt collector to report after a debt is paid, as it no longer serves a substantive business purpose of promoting their collection, but it is not prohibited.

The proper procedure is to send the debt collector a request for their good-will deletion of their reporting.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unknown paid collection

Thank you for the response. I had no idea a CA could report without ever having notice from them or the OC. I will do as suggested. Thank you.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.