Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknowningly Paid Closed Collection Account

tag
ebaniaga
Established Member

Unknowningly Paid Closed Collection Account

Hello All.

Forgive me if this is addressed elsewhere, my search for closed collection accounts did not seem to furnish any results related to my situation.

I currently have a collection account that is reporting at a balance of $0 and is closed.  The only problem is that it shows up as "paid, closed" on my credit report and I have no idea why, because I did not make payment.

I am currently in the market for a car and I am addressing all negative report information (I have sent PFD, GW, and dispute letters to a few places).  My question here would be about what I should do with this particular account.

Do I write a GW Letter?  I obviously can't write a PFD since it's aleggedly been paid.  Who should I contact? OC? CA?

I'm not really sure what to do from here to get it off of my report so I would appreciate any help you guys can give.

Aloha,

ebaniaga

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Unknowningly Paid Closed Collection Account

If you know it has not been paid, I would not rely on that comment of paid as fulfillment of the debt.

Closed, $0 balance under collection merely means the debt collector no longer is collecting on the debt.

The debt still exists, and someone is likely to come forward.

I would begin by finding out who now owns the debt, as any PFD would have to go to them or a debt collector is they assign addtional collection.

Message 2 of 9
ebaniaga
Established Member

Do you think addressing the OC would do me any good? Or will the OC no longer have owned the debt by then.

Should I send a DV letter to the CA or should I just call them and ask?

Message 3 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I like the idea of sending them a DV.  Just to verify they own the debt.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the collection has been closed, they are no longer pursuing collection.

A DV would most likely be ignored.

First, unless sent within 30 days of their dunning notice, it would not invoke any cease collection bar, and could simply be ignored.

Second, even if timely, they have no requirment to respond, only to cease further collection until they choose to respond.

Since they have already reported cessation of collection, it will most likely be ignored.

Not sure what a DV would accomplish...... but doesnt hurt to send.

Message 5 of 9
ebaniaga
Established Member

@RobertEG so what would your next course of action be??

Would you contact the OC directly?  Dispute the item in order for the CA to respond?

I'm not really sure what to do next.

Message 6 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 7 of 9
ebaniaga
Established Member

Yes and yes.  It is for an eye doctor visit that I believe my insurance declined.

Message 8 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.