Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unpaid Collection Deleted?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unpaid Collection Deleted?

My husband had a collection account on his credit report from 2006 that was never paid. We disputed the account a few months ago with the CRA but it came back as verified and due to be removed in 2013. We did nothing after that. A few days ago the collection account was deleted from all 3 reports. I am very happy about this and I'm not complaining, but why did this happen? Is the account going to come back later on? Has anyone ever had something like this happen? And did the account come back?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unpaid Collection Deleted?

I wouldn't start jumping for joy just yet. It sounds like it has been sold off to another CA. Be prepared for a letter in the mail in the next couple of months. Don't ignore it. Send a DV immediately when you receive the letter. Chances are, this thing is so old they won't be able to validate it.

Edit: To answer your questions, yes. I've had this happen to me on a T-Mobile collection account from 2008. It had dropped off my report twice before this last time around June. In September I got a letter but it still wasn't reporting on my CR. Being ignorant to this process, I sent a check thinking that if I paid it before it was reported it wouldn't be. They ended up reporting it as a paid collection several months later and now I'm having a heck of a time getting it removed.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice. I was afraid that would happen. Do you know how long it usually takes for them to start reporting the account again?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Every collection agency works a little differently. I would say that at the earliest it would be 30-45 days after the date shown on the first letter they send you.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.