Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unpaid Tuition...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unpaid Tuition...

Hi again all,

This year I really want to make a vested effort to remove the financial and emotional stress placed upon myself for actions I did at my youth, and I'd very much appreciate your input.

In the Fall of 2008 I enrolled in a university, after attending for a short time an unfortunate and detrimental event occured that caused me to lose a sense of reality and the obligations required of myself.  Now I look back at that event and the damage it has caused.

I have a debt of tution for the university that has since been placed into collections, the name of the company creates the apperance that it is a law firm, but they are considered a "educational debt recovery" company.

They've made contact with me, but from my own research they have not reported this debt to any credit bureau.  On top of the debt they have placed a "collection fee" for the services rendered with assumingly an agreement they have with the university.

I want them to take the consideration that I truly want to make the effort to correct this mistake, but want to see if it's possible to receive some type of benefit for ensuring satisfaction of the debt. I know I am not owed anything, but am curious what y'alls opinions are.

I want to offer them the exact amount of tuition owed to the university, not including the amount they have placed on top of the debt.  But was wondering if it is a possibility to include an agreement that would allow for the "Retroactive Registration" of the semester to which this occured.  I cannot continue my education without first resolving this.  And if questioning, I am requesting the "Retroactive Registration" for my failure to drop the courses.

Again, I thank you for reading this and for any insight or opinion that can be provided.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Re: Unpaid Tuition...

Can you explain what you mean by "Retroactive Registration"? Specifcally, other than having the debt satisfied, what do you want to occur here related to the university?

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't give a blanket definition of the term, but it would involve the removal of classes enrolled from a transcript, "to start anew" would be an easier understanding.  The policies defined differ from one university to another.

Basically I just want any derogatory information removed from records relating to my status as a student with the university in relation to this unpaid tuition.  The removal of holds and ensuring my transcript is released.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason or my asking would be that from previous discussions on the matter it would appear as if I must include any kind of negotiations with the CA themselves.

I'm fully aware that the university I attended is not fond of assisting those who wish to improve their academic knowledge and suceed with doing so.  Of course what I stated is a matter of opinion.

The idea of contacting the university directly requesting such a resolve is unnerving because I'm concerned with them developing some sort of "upper hand" leaving me just the acknowledgement of a satisfied debt with a transcript in travesty.

I hope that provides a better understanding.

Message 4 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

if you pay what you owe, i don't see why they would keep the hold on your transcripts.  i don't know if they will remove the courses from your transcripts, though, because as you said, that varies from school to school.

Message 5 of 14
ShootingStar
Regular Contributor

t iRe: Unpaid Tuition...

Is sounds as if you may have two separate issues here?  A financial hold on your records due to unpaid tuition, etc. should have nothing to do with deletion of academic records.  In fact, most universities do not allow one to continue with class(es) for the semester if tuition goes unpaid (unless agreed upon in advance) -- you're forced to "drop" the class, with no academic penalty.  In the event you withdrew from school, whether officially or not, if you were enrolled in class past a certain date, and didn't finish (i.e. take finals, etc.) -- those grades could potentially convert to "F's" if not resolved within a specified time frame, AND then become part of your permanent academic record.

I don't know that you can negotiate removal of academic evidence of enrollment through agreement to pay your tuition and/or remaining fees.  Certainly, traditional universities and colleges do not practice that.

If you could provide a bit more information, maybe someone could offer the best course of action?  Best of luck! 

"It's myFICO and I can cry if I want to!"

Starting Score January 1, 2010: 640
Current Scores Updated Sept. 6, 2011: EQ: 765 / TU: 778 / EX PLUS: 773
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

"Working my way up!" Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: t iRe: Unpaid Tuition...

Hi Shooting Star,

I appreciate your response. During this time I was very unstable and without a doubt I did not handle the situation correctly. I did not drop the courses, so it is very likely that the final grade you mentioned could be represented on my academic record. I haven't personally seen it, but I also consider it a remote possibility that the instructor's of the courses might have removed me, due to my lack of attendance.

I guess what I'm curious about is bargaining. I fear it because there is no assurance that if, once they receive such a letter they might attempt litigation for failure to pay this tuition. I just don't know what would be the best course of action, especially whenever the university isn't very UNwilling to communicate.

It's very clear that this proposal has no historic evidence to provide understanding of whether it's possible or not.. I've found nothing like it on myFICO.

I have no problem paying the un-paid tuition.. but kind of like you said, I don't know what the best course of action is. Just seeking input, advice or the idea of a possible solution.  Thank you for your reply! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 14
ShootingStar
Regular Contributor

Depending on the type of institution you attended, there may be a process by which they could retroactively grant an "official withdrawal" which would certainly be much more kind to your academic records.  If I were you, I would talk with a Dean of Students, Registrar, and/or Advisor to ask where to begin.  Many universities have policy pertaining to unique and extreme circumstances of retroactive withdrawal (and also reinstatement), etc. (eg. relating to mental or physical health issues, family issues, etc.).  Understand that whatever your particular circumstances were will need to be substantiated by appropriate documentation, etc., but I would definiately approach this issue from two separate angles -- academically and financially.  Especially if you're wanting to continue with school...

[Edited for clarification:  When I suggest approaching from two angles, I meant not to combine the two issues, necessarily.  They may treat your unique academic situation more kindly if you not attempt to nogotiate removal of any negatives with an agreement to pay.  But again, it depends on the TYPE of institution (non-profit/traditional vs. for-profit).]

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ShootingStar,

I wouldn't know where I could possible provide documentation. I mean the circumstance that caused me to act with such "self-destructive behavior" was the illness of a beloved familiy member, he didn't pass until late 2009, but I'm unsure what kind of documents I could provide that would allow the institution to understand or sympathize with that really personal travesty that happened in my life.

Like I said, I just want to proceed with caution, especially whenever it's the university that holds all the "cards" and I just have a few "chips" I have yet to give to them. It probably looks poor on me that I'd even consider this proposed idea of bargaining with them, I just want to correct the mistakes of the past.

The tuition owed is currently being held with a "educational collections" company, so I don't even know if the university will even allow me to speak with them directly. If they'll hear me I'd welcome any conversation they want to have with me, but I don't know what course would be best if they only direct me to the "educational collections" company.

BTW- If you google that last term I used quotations with you won't yield the actual companies name, but they specifically use that term when describing the services they offer.

Message 9 of 14
ShootingStar
Regular Contributor

Try not to get discouraged -- I would still attempt to straighten out the academic side of things ASAP.  There has to be a formal appeal process by which you can discuss the extreme circumstances of your situation -- and go from there.  You'll never know -- they may be willing to help you straighten things out.  Academic advisors have nothing to do with your tuition -- they should be able to help you discuss your ACADEMIC reality and options available to you REGARDLESS of your financial situation with them.  I would start there.  Hopefully you're able to get this resolved!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.