Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsecured Credit Card question

tag
BetterDayz

Unsecured Credit Card question

Hello, 

My first post.  I am a member of a Credit Union and have had a secured credit card for $500 with them for 2 years.  My credit at the time was in the 400's.  Now I am in the high 600- to mid 700 and want to apply for an Unsecured credit card.  I called up the bank and asked them what the process was regarding getting an unsecured credit card and I am pretty sure what they told me wasnt the correct answer.  The phone rep told me that in order to get an unsecured credit card with them I would have to apply for one and the secured credit card would close out and my $500 would be transfred to the new card.  Does this seem correct?  Has anyone had this experience?  The Credit Union is a reputable one in the NYC area and I am pretty sure this isnt the case. 

I also have an unsecured with First Premiere.  How should I go about asking them for an unsecured card?  Do these require a Hard Pull?

Started EQ 450 TU 510 EXP?
Current EQ 758 TU 681 EXP?
Goal 800 by 2014 and a Mortgage!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: Unsecured Credit Card question

@BetterDayz wrote:

Hello, 

My first post.  I am a member of a Credit Union and have had a secured credit card for $500 with them for 2 years.  My credit at the time was in the 400's.  Now I am in the high 600- to mid 700 and want to apply for an Unsecured credit card.  I called up the bank and asked them what the process was regarding getting an unsecured credit card and I am pretty sure what they told me wasnt the correct answer.  The phone rep told me that in order to get an unsecured credit card with them I would have to apply for one and the secured credit card would close out and my $500 would be transfred to the new card.  Does this seem correct?  Has anyone had this experience?  The Credit Union is a reputable one in the NYC area and I am pretty sure this isnt the case. 

I also have an unsecured with First Premiere.  How should I go about asking them for an unsecured card?  Do these require a Hard Pull?

Call your CU back and talk to someone else.  I suppose that could be their policy, but it's not something I've heard of.  Also, if your scores are around 700 (assuming they're your Fico scores)  there's no reason for you to stick with First Premier.  I would ditch them and move up the ladder.

P.S. - Welcome!  Smiley Happy

FICO Scores 800+
Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It could be that the secured card you have works the way the rep stated.  Again, the CSR just might not really know.

Yes it would require a HP.

Message 3 of 4
HiLine
Blogger

I concur. It may be the CU's policy that secured cards remain secured forever. First Premiere credit cards are the absolute worse - you should stay away from them, especially now that you have a good credit score. At this point I'm confident you can get basically any cards you want unless you've burned certain creditors through bankruptcy and default. If you're not sure what card you want, try the BankAmericard Cash Rewards or BankAmericard Travel Rewards, or Chase Freedom, or Discover It.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.