Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsecured approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unsecured approval?

Was just curious when people were first approved for unsecured credit!?!

What did your scores look like?!

Did you still have baddies?

If so how many?

What kind of baddies?

Were they old or recent? 

Who approved you first? 

I'm asking because I have 3 secure cards I've had for 5/6 months my scores are up a lot since I started but I still have old baddies I'm waiting to fall off early 2016. 

I DON'T need a new card I'm cool with what I have. Just curious. Thanx

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unsecured approval?

Chase Freedom was the first unsecured card I applied for in my rebuild. My 3 scores were something like 612, 625, and 645. I had my secured cards at least 7 months(I don't remember the exact length for each of them). I had a tax lien, a chargeoff that was about to fall off in a few months, and some 30 day lates on an otherwise paid as agreed car loan(the lates were more than 2 years old). I used the prequalifier link for chase found here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Pre-Approval-Sites-June-2015/m-p/4059266

and it said prequalified for Freedom and Slate, so I rolled the dice. The Chase prequalified offers are said to be pretty reliable, but no prequalified offer is guaranteed. Getting approved for the Freedom made me take a gamble on Discover. While they have a pre-qualifier link there, a lot of people have a low opinion of how reliable it is. But I figured if Chase would approve me with a 4500 line, I might have a decent chance at a Discover. I got it, but by the skin of my teeth going by the small credit limit they gave me and the two hard pulls. Chase gave me a decent CL, but also 2 hard pulls.

As always, YMMV. At some point, you're just going to have to roll the dice and give it a shot if you want an unsecured card, because no matter what your score is or how solid a pre-approval looks, there is always a chance of denial. Your scores are in a similar range that mine were, so it could either way, you're in that border zone. Your EX might get you an AMEX offer, check their prequal as well maybe.

Or just wait a few more months, get a bit more juice from your efforts. Doesn't hurt to wait.

EDIT - Just looked up what exactly my scores were when I apped, 632, 634, & 641.

Message 2 of 9
crrredit
Established Contributor

Chase Freedom was also my first unsecured card, after 6 months of secured cards, and that after years of no cards. My second unsecured was CapOne Quicksilver 1, about a month after the Freedom card. Tried for regular Quicksilver, got rejected, so immediately applied for the QS1. That's where I stand now. Three secured, two unsecured and one store card-Overstock.com. That was actually my first unsecured card, but I don't count it the same as the credit cards. I got Overstock a month after my first secured card. They give me a $200 CLI every couple of months, and I actually find decent deals on stuff I need, so it's worked out.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a secured card with USAA for 250 and I got prequal offers in the mail for Credit One (500) and for Merrick (550) and I accepted, even though high fees.  I also had a prequal offer from Orchard Bank for 500, later taken over by Cap1.

I was slower to get going but it turned out well.  I didnt display signs of 'seeking credit' and didnt attract attention from my COs and didnt get sued for judgements.  I didnt need to get a mortgage (already had one)  and couldnt afford a car loan.

Scores were in low to mid 500s with 6 COs, 4 CAs, an auto repo, and several medical CAs.

hth

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys that's great info. I just paid off my fingerhut  fresh start today so that should help once it changes into a revolving account right!?!

Message 5 of 9
jbsea
Established Contributor

I dont know anything about finger hut but my first unsecured cards were from usaa.... I dont remember what my scores were but i'm sure they were low 600's.  I remember being so surprised when i was approved.  But then again even today I'm surprised.  Good luck in your credit journey.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok when I applied and got two cards last month my CK FAKO scores were TU 600 and EQ 664 - I have no idea what the real scores were as CK was the only thing I had access to at the time.

First I got a Capital One Quicksilver card  $500 limit - same day I applied for Discover IT card and got a $500 limit.

I didn't have an unsecured card for over a year - I had one, but got in an argument with the bank and closed it!    It does still show on my reports as a good account tho.   I just got tired of fighting with my local bank.....   

Badies - there were 3 collection accounts and a State Tax Lien on the reports at the time of approval, as well as late payment history on both car loans that were reported (one since has been closed/paid off).

Hope that helps......I'm still trying to decide where to attempt a 3rd card from as everyone on here seems to say it takes 3 cards for really good reporting!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores were in the low 600s when I got approved by Cap1. Check their preapproval site as they have been very good to us.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit pulls database.  Choose lender and state you're in, see what they pulled, what their scores were, SL and approved or not.

I'm gardening till September 7th, 2017.  Even have a countdown app on my phone.  I have all the unsecured I need.  History 11 + yrs via installment loans, monthly battling 3 CA TL's, 1 60 day late payment from July 2014. No Public Records. Everything else in signature. Positive history prior to June 2014.

I started with Cap1 secured - RIPieces, then...

I chose GoRewards for travel, USAA to get my foot in the door, Quicksilver for Cash, Playstation for my Playstation, Vickies for undies and sweatpants, Overstock for electronics and sheet sets - I love 500+ count.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.