Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsure of consequences if paying a chargeoff

tag
Nicoantique
Established Member

Unsure of consequences if paying a chargeoff

My credit is bouncing back. Balances on 5 cards are all zeros except for one at 9 percent.

I have removed a ton of baddies and i'm approaching the 700 mark.

However, I still have a First Premier c/o from 2011 for $343. This shows up in Myfico as a past due balance.

I have the money to pay it off...should I?

Thanks everyone for all your help...I'm almost there!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Unsure of consequences if paying a chargeoff

@Nicoantique wrote:

My credit is bouncing back. Balances on 5 cards are all zeros except for one at 9 percent.

However, I still have a First Premier c/o from 2011 for $343. This shows up in Myfico as a past due balance.

Score wise a paid CO is no better than a CO and if it hasnt updated in awhile it will drop your score when its reported as a paid CO. As far as a manual review it looks better to have a paid CO over one  that is still open and unpaid, if its your last baddie I say pay it and hope you can get a GW at some point in time.

Message 2 of 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Nicoantique wrote:

Are they still actively reporting?   If they're updating every month, you'd benefit from paying it off.  Also, if the balance is weighing down your UTIL, it would be benefit you, too.  Settling in full on an actively reporting CO boosted my score. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 6
pr0blumz
New Contributor

Send them a PFD.
Message 4 of 6
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Here's an article I found that may help: http://www.examiner.com/article/how-to-raise-your-credit-score-100-points-45-days

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

You dont actually "pay a charge-off", you pay the debt that just so-happens to have been charged-off.

Their reporting of the CO was of their determiation that you were unlikely to pay the debt, and remains after payment unless you can get their agreement to delete that reporting.

Paying the debt will remove any future issue of having that unpaid debt, which can in and of itself be basis for denail of future credit.

Other than $ out of pocket, it is always of potential beneffit to pay the debt.

The secondary issue is that many creditors will also attempt to recoup a bit more on a debt that they have determined wont be paid.

They can sell the bad debt at a large discount to a debt collector, and the debt collector than assumes the high risk of attempting to collect on a debt that has been reportied as unlikely to be paid.  The purchasing debt collector can then report their collection.

Thus, a CO could easily result in the addition of a further major derog in the form of a reported collection.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.