Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

***Update***cashnet usa/horizon I think I just got scammed

tag
DreamHome2014

***Update***cashnet usa/horizon I think I just got scammed

**Update**

I tried to contact Horizon with the number "John Michael" gave-disconnected. I never received a "Paid in full" letter/email. A day after this happened, I contacted my bank to dispute this charge. They actually charged $900 instead of the $300. The bank called me and stated the payment was made to AFT/ATF which is a legitimate collection company. They provided me with the contact info to AFT. AFT states they are process payments but are not the collectors. They gave me a number to call which happened to be someone's personal cell phone. The person who answered was caught off guard basically saying don't ever call me at this number again, I will make sure you get a paid in full letter by email. I eventualy got it a few days later. The letter was addressed to a addess I had not lived at for more than 5 years.

The bank is still pursuing these guys for my money back. The collectors called again last week stating they've given me all the info I need and I need to tell the bank to cancel the dispute. They go on and on about the fees they are getting hit with, etc. and how this will count against me and my file should I continue the dispute. Throughout this, I explained and asked for any sort of verification this debt is mine as well as requested a explanation for why $900 was taken out. The guy tells me he doesn't know what was said but that I already paid. I tell him to listen to the recording and he actually chuckled telling me they don't keep recordings over 60 days old (it has not been 60 days!). I state I refuse to cancel this dispute since they messed up. The guy gets frustrated with me and tells me he'll call me back. 

Well, he called me back last night and left a VM. He said he listened to the recording and I was correct they took the wrong amount out however he still doesn' want toreturn the money to the bank, He says he has a deal for me that might lower what I already paid. If I choose not to settle, they are ready to file a claim/suit against me. 

My husband says not to pay and stick it out. But I'm scared and think I should just pay-I don't want a judgement especially for a debt I don't believe I honestly owe.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I received a voicemail today at 3 pm from Thomas Marshall In Ramsey County stating they just received a petition and will serve me a summon between 5-6. He suggested I contact the client to see if this could be resolved outside of court and provided me with their contact information. Otherwise if they don't hear back by 4:30 pm, they will see me at 5 to serve me . He didn't give me a contact number for his office or the court House.

Of course, scared, I called the number provided. A person named John Michael informed me of a debt owed to cashnet over $1000 from 2009 stated If I went to court the costs old be over $5000. And I am being charged for fraudulent checks since the check for payment provided from an bank account number provided ######### bounced.
I told him I w would settle with him and he agreed stating I can pay over 6 months and the attorney general agreed to reduce the fees. I gave him my card Info for a $300 payment and was told to expect a email confirmation. Still have not received It.
Curious, I called Cashnet afterwards and they basically told me It was fraud. The debt is 8 years old so past the SOL in my state.
I called this guy back and he now says the debt Is owed to horizon cash, an affiliate with cashnet and the owed amount is $400.

I feel so dumb. I don't know what to do or believe.

Help?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
DreamHome2014

Re: cashnet usa I think I just got scammed

Also I don't even live In Ramsey County.
Message 2 of 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Yes, this is a SCAM.

The tip off is this:  

• no process server calls you in advance to set an appointment to serve you and then by the way has a contact number for you to negotiate a payoff
  • the attorney general doesn't get involved in cases like this at all
  • the fact they want you to pay via cc over the phone is another indicator of a scam
  • CashNet is one of the names that these scammers have been using for years.

Contact your credit card company right now. Cancel the charge and get a replacement card with a different number.

Never pay anyone over the phone for debt - it is one sure way to get ripped off.

Go to FTC.gov and look up financial scams. There is a whole list of what to do if scammed and how to avoid them in the first place.

Message 3 of 14
DreamHome2014

Thank you...He also never told me the terms or dates of the supposed payment arrangement. lesson learned!
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

call your financial institute to file a dispute 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

: uCall your bank, and explain what happened. That way the bank will be alerted to any charges coming from them and block them. It happened to me last year, and when I called the bank to put a stop payment on it, they explained it to me. And a stop payment is only good for 6 months. These dirtbags will just wait it out and resubmit. So reporting it as a scam is more effective, I guess. I know they were never able to get the money out of that account, at any rate.

Message 6 of 14
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

Dang!
That's messed all the way up!
Horrible.....

Message 7 of 14
enerey
Regular Contributor

If you haven't done it already you need  to call your bank asap and let them know about the charge and I would also cancel that card and have them send you a new one.  

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let us know what happened.

Message 9 of 14
DreamHome2014

Re: ***Update***cashnet usa/horizon I think I just got scammed

And the guy also said we've given you everything via email, we don't need to mail anything out to you. We've followed all the rules per FTC. He then tells me he knows what trick I'm pulling and I need to stop telling me he's been in this situation before. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.