Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on first big steps!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Update on first big steps!!!

I thinking I'm gonna do a merrick secured card and put another $100 towards my cap1..
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before trying to get another secured card, I would suggest apping for a Capital one Platinum card, or Quicksilver One. If they turn you down, then go for the second secured card and re-apply for Cap One in 60-90 days.

Message 12 of 17
needtodobetter
Frequent Contributor

I would also encourage you to join NFCU, if you are eligible.  Two of my kids are in the military so I joined a little over a month ago.  I went with a $500 secured card with them. I also applied for a shared secured loan with them - Wow - I applied over the phone on Sunday and today received my check and promissory note via Fedex.  My account was too new so they couldn't direct deposit the loan funds in my account - I was really surprised by how quickly everything went.  I don't really need the secured card or loan with them - I have some unsecured cards, a mortgage, and student loans, but since my scores are so low, I wanted to show them that I am a responsible borrower.  I plan to charge a little, PIF, and make over the minimum on the loan.  I don't want to pay the loan off right away because I want the good reporting extended for the full loan period. I got the loan for 2.25% so there is like $7.00 in finance charges throughout the whole loan.  Plus, as payments are made, that amount is freed up in your savings account.

I was thrilled to get in with them and their customer service has been outstanding.  

Good luck on your rebuild!!

05/01/15: EQ 519 TU 541 EX 506
10/28/15: EQ 637 TU 646 EX 622
First Goal Score: 600
Second Goal Score: 640
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did app again for platinum and qs1 and got denied.. So secured it is..

I'm definitely getting into NFCU.. It just seems like a great bank to be with.
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was looking for new bed sheets on overstock and when i went to checkout it said i was preapproved for overstock store card.. It asked for my ssn so i googled to see if it was legit.. Apprently this is refrred to as a shopping cart trick by some

Anyway i got approved for a $250!!!!!!!

Pretty pumped about that.. It was the first time anything has ever said i was pre-approved lol

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Was looking for new bed sheets on overstock and when i went to checkout it said i was preapproved for overstock store card.. It asked for my ssn so i googled to see if it was legit.. Apprently this is refrred to as a shopping cart trick by some

Anyway i got approved for a $250!!!!!!!

Pretty pumped about that.. It was the first time anything has ever said i was pre-approved lol

That is great!  Congrats!

I encourage you to use caution about getting store cards that you dont have a use for though.  I know you needed something from Overstock and it worked out great.   Although you can get lots of store cards, it can get cumbersome to manage.

And a store card is not considered on the same level as a bank or cu card, they are a little lower, especially in a manual review.  It will count as a trade line and will help if you use it responsibly.

Also, keep in mind that the Fico algorithms will give the best score to someone that has at least 3 CCs (even if secured) with only one of them showing a balance no higher than 9%.  You need to use the CCs but pay them down before the statement date, but let one report at 9% or less.

In time, you will get prequal letters from CCCs.  If you get one from Credit One, it counts as a TL but they are the masters of creating a fee, including asking something like 10 or 20 bucks to pay for a 250 CLI.

hth, you're making progress.

ETA:  sorry, didnt mean to make it like I am preaching, just wanted to caution against collecting store cards that wont serve you well. 

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so I took a couple steps to helping rebuild my credit.. I opened a Cap1 Secured card with a $200 limit. I also did the fingerhut freshstart and paid of the balance as soon as it posted.. Just a FYI with the fresh start.. If you pay it off as soon as it post you may not be eligible for the revolving credit because it doesn't show your capable of paying on-time payments.. But i contacted customer support and did a review and approved me for $200 revolving credit.

So i have $400 total now in credit. Now im wondering what my next step should be. 

I pulled my FICO score and they are  EQ:567  TU:597  EX:565

I tried to pull them a few weeks ago and FICO said i didn't have enough history.. Based off what CK said i had a EQ:468   TU:465 

So that's progress. I haven't done anything with the $2405 joint account in collections or the $1340 for a electric bill my mom opened right when i turned 18.

I guess i'm wondering what my next step should be. I have a balance of $125 on Cap1 card because i went on outta town on vacation and spent a little extra in my drunken nights lol. I'm paying it down Friday which should jump my scores more.

Should i try to get another secured card or deposit more towards the Cap1 card?

Have Cap One report 1%.  Keep charging and paying.   Put your everyday expenses on there and pif but remember to leave that 1% a day before or day of your due date.  Try to see if you can qualify using their pre-qual for another card.  Cheaper than getting a secured.  But BofA will give you a secured which will turn into a regular card with timely payments.   How old are those CO accts?

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.