cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to my debt collection, please advise next move.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update to my debt collection, please advise next move.

My previous debt of $238 by DirecTV on my credit report was disputed and the collector removed it and told me DirecTV would contact me with updated information...

-Thats the short version...

I just recieved the first letter since... Its from another collector saying DirecTV has now placed my previously disputed account with them... 

"This letter serves as notification that your delinquent account may be reported to the national credit agnecies."

So what is my next move? If I simply pay it, will it report again on my report? 

--Now that I got it off the report, I want to keep it off!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Update to my debt collection, please advise next move.

What specifically was the basis for your prior dispute, and what did the Notice of Results of Reinvestigation sent by the CRA state was the specific outcome of th dispute?

It is possible that the prior deletion was voluntary, and not done by the CRA......

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

DirecTV cycles their delinquent accounts through a short list of collectors. They move them to the next collector about every six months or so. Often the previous collector does not remove their reports, and you end up with double reporting. It would appear that you disputed right when it was moved to the next collector.

If you pay promptly it should stay off your reports. You can pay DirecTV or you can pay the collector. I payed DirecTV and its been gone ever since.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So at this point, since it is off my reports for the time being (while being handed off to new collector as you say) 

If I just pay it, will it stay off? or will they then post it as a paid debt? which i dont want....

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you pay it now, it should stay off. My dunning notice from AFNI stated that I could call and pay DirecTV, so thats what I did. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So is it best to call directv and use the account number and reference # from the collection letter or pay through the collection company?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Either way should work, just tell them you were unaware of the old bill and you want to make sure it stays off your reports.

Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Call the new debt collector and offer payment in exchange for their agreement not to report.

You take a chance if you just pay.  They may, for example, have an automated reporting system that kicks out paid notice to the CRAs.

Message 8 of 9
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to highjack for a moment... RobertEG, are you a debt collector?  You always seem to advise payment to CA which every other board will advise NEVER pay a CA.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.