Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Us Bank paid charge offs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Us Bank paid charge offs

So to make a long story, somewhat shorter, a few years ago, 2012, if I remember correctly. I ran into a financial hardship being unemployed for a few months and in return I immediately was unable to continue to make any payments. Few years later I've been working tirelessly to get all my debt in order. So tax season last year, 2016, I was receiving settlement offers from Usbank and decided to put my tax refund to good use and paid off around 6-7 thousand.

Great right? Not so much. Not yet anyways. In my nievety, I didn't know what my options were regarding debt and how it would affect my credit to pay these off. My credit jumped a good 40 or so points according to credit karma a month or so afterwards. I was ecstatic!

A few things happened after this however....

So my tax refund that year wasn't quite enough to pay all the accounts that had charged off. So these other accounts reopened and knocked my score down more than. 100 points. Ouch. To top it off, I didn't know I had the power at the time I paid the previous accounts that I could request them to remove it from my credit report altogether instead of it still hurting my credit as a "payment received after charge off" derogatory mark.

So, we come around to the new tax season and I am wanting to pay off some debt with them once again. So does anyone maybe have any experience with usbank being understanding or being somewhat lenient, especially if I'm offering to pay in full, in removing this other account from my credit altogether?  Also, any thoughts on my chances of them possibly removing the other accounts as well through goodwill if I send them a letter? Any advice for this credit newbie is tremendously appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate any advice. Really wanting to get my life on track and put this bad experience behind me.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Us Bank paid charge offs

I'm not the most knowledgeable in these situations but I previously, yesterday actually paid off an account with US Bank from 2011. It was sold to a collection agency so that may make some difference if your case is still with the bank. Prior to calling the collection agency, I did call US bank to see if they still owned the debt just in case the collection agency happened to be a pain to deal with.

Unfortunately, US Bank didn't and they provided me with info to verify the collection agency reporting the account. When I called the first offer they made was pay XYZ and we'll delete it for you on Friday. Prior to me agreeing I received an email while on the phone with the terms and processed my payment.

Received my receipt showing paid in full as well as deletion.

I hope this helps? 

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can place any legal condition upon an offer to pay a debt.

Regardless of the prior experience of others, I would make a pay for deletion offer, which can be contingent upon deletion of any information of record that they have reported.

Since the CRA impose a standard reporting restraint on furnishers that they should not delete reporting based on payment of a debt, many furnishers have standard internal policies restricting their subordinates from granting subjective pay for deletions.

To obtain an exception often requires approval of a manager.

Thus, it is common to send PFD offers to their executive office rather than sending to subordinates at the normal processing address.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can place any legal condition upon an offer to pay a debt.

Regardless of the prior experience of others, I would make a pay for deletion offer, which can be contingent upon deletion of any information of record that they have reported.

Since the CRA impose a standard reporting restraint on furnishers that they should not delete reporting based on payment of a debt, many furnishers have standard internal policies restricting their subordinates from granting subjective pay for deletions.

To obtain an exception often requires approval of a manager.

Thus, it is common to send PFD offers to their executive office rather than sending to subordinates at the normal processing address.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.