Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility Collection on credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utility Collection on credit report

Hi all, this is my first post on my FICO and im hoping someone may be able to help me out. So here's my issue, im in the military and moved from Maryland in March, prior to moving i scheduled my gas and electric service to be stopped the day after i left. i contacted Baltimore Gas and Electric and paid my last bill before i left the state. i forwarded my address with the post office etc and went back on to BGEs website several times after the fact to see if i had any updates and saw nothing.

Well yesterday i pulled my credit report and saw a collection on it for $91! i looked through all my accounts and saw no delinquencies. it wasnt until i looked through my old utility accounts that i discovered i had a bill from BGE that was due back in May. I never received any turn off or collection notices via mail or email or follow up from BGE stating i had an outstanding balance. I am not debating the validity of the debt, as it probably covers the few days between the billing periods while i still was in my house. The collection hit my report yesterday and by today my credit score has already plummeted by almost 90 points.

Due to the holiday i couldn't reach anyone at the collection agency but did speak to a billing rep at the electric company who said the collection should be deleted after i pay it but suggested i speak to someone with collections tomorrow. The electric company still owns the debt, so im wondering why "Rickart Collections" is listed on my credit report.

as of now I think it may be in my best interest to work directly with the creditor and not the collection agency to try and get the collection deleted. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? Ive finally gotten my credit to a decent point in the mid 700s and one honest mistake has destroyed my credit. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

John

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

Re: Utility Collection on credit report

Call them back as soon as you can and only deal with the utility company if you can. Make sure you get them to say they will be contacting the debt collector to cancel the collection. Pay the bill and it should be gravy. Also ask them to send you correspondence that the account has been paid in full and closed.
Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 2 of 4
Billybob_TX
Frequent Contributor

Do not call anyone but the utility company. Do not pay anyone but the utility company. Ask to talk with someone in charge and emphasize that you are in the military and had to move, and you paid the amount due when you moved, they will have a record of that. Pay any bill they say you owe, and get everything in writing "for your accountant" because if it ain't in writing it didn't happen. Then you write to the state utility commission, and tell them how this harassment from a collection agency has caused you much turmoil in your life. You copy that letter to your US Senator, and whoever your local State Senator is...they have an office for these types of things. Sit back and watch what happens. 

Message 3 of 4
gagirl82
Regular Contributor

You should file a complaint with the BBB. When someone finally respond to you explain the situation and tell them you want to PFD and do not accept anything else.  I was able to do it and had a utility bill deleted like it was never there.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.