Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility Company Reporting

tag
EDub357
Frequent Contributor

Utility Company Reporting

Are the steps for disputing with a utility company the same as disputing any other account?  I have disputed with the CRA and account came back as verified. What is the next step?  I live in Texas and I know that Texas has laws in place to protect consumers.  Should i send a direct dispute? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Utility Company Reporting

Any dispute pertains to the accuracy of the reported information, not the type of business or debt.

So yes, you can dispute reporting made by any furnisher.

A dispute, be it through a CRA or directly with the furnisher of the disputed information, is a process that requires the furnisher to conduct a reasonable investigation of the accuracy of the reported information.  They must reach a determination as to its accuracy that is supported by their investigation, and convey that determination either back to the CRA if it was disputed through a CRA, or directly to the consumer if it is a direct dispute.  They need not forward their supporting documentation, only their determination.

Once you dispute via a CRA, the furnisher has conducted an investigation of the accuracy, and reported the results.  A direct dispute would thereafter be a request for them to repeat the same process.  The rules implementing the direct dispute process specifically provide that a furnisher can dismiss any direct dispute on substantially the same issue if they have previously investigated by way of a prior CRA dispute.

One issue, one investgation.  See 16 CFR 660.4(f).

Message 2 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Unless you have documentation supporting your dispute.  Then I would still do the direct dispute and furnish the OC all documents.

Is it not your account?

Message 3 of 6
EDub357
Frequent Contributor

It is not my account.  Never even lived at the address they say there was service.  But how can one prove he's never lived at a certain address?

Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You file a police report or an FTC Fraud Affidavit.   Send one to the CRA and have them block the account.  Send one to the OC and letting them know it is not yours and ask for any and all documentation they may have.

Do you have anything from that time frame with your address on it.  Maybe other utilities.  I wouldn't necessarily worry about it.  You don't have to prove fraud.

Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1

If it's not yours, file the fraud report.  This will exclude the TL from your CR.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.