Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility Company

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utility Company

My utility company has reported my account negatively in the past. I have brought the account current and have asked them to consider removing this negative account from my report. In response to my good faith letter they wrote me the following:

Thank you for your reply. I understand your concern about the impact of your credit report and I am sorry to hear about the financial difficulties you experienced. I see that your account was reported negative five times this year. However, by law, we cannot change accurately reported notifications. As Eileen explained, We Energies is required by Federal Law (Fair Credit Reporting Act) to provide accurate information each month based on customer payments.

My question is: Is it against the law for them to remove it?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Utility Company

Not necessarily. By law they have to report accurately. If there were lates, they have to report that. When requesting a GW or PFD, it boils down to getting them to change their own records. By law, they have to accurately report what they show in their computers, but if they now show that you weren't late due to a generous CSR, then they have to accurately report that too.

Their response is very common among creditors. I'd keep trying.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhh...WE Energies...they have dinged me once too.

My understanding is that it's not "against the law" for them to remove negative reporting, but that their agreements with the CRA's often require "accurate and truthful" reporting.  They are not required to report anything/everything, but what they DO report is required to be reported accurately.  So they are acting in accordance with their agreement with the CRA, not with the law.

If it makes you feel any better, they dinged me with a 30 day late after they failed to post my payment in a timely fashion and they have absolutely refused to to remove the reporting.  I'm in the process of filing complaints about this matter.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response. I'm new at this credit fighting thing so can you tell me what CSR and PFD stand for?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSR means Customer Service Rep & PFD means Pay for Delete..I had a really hard time trying to figure out what  all the abbreviations meant on here so I started to "look" aroung and found the list but now I dont remember where i found it at??? sorry Maybe some one can direct you where to go so you can print it out and have a copy to refer back to Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your response. I'm new at this credit fighting thing so can you tell me what CSR and PFD stand for?

Welcome to myFICO.

All the terms can be confusing. Here is a list of Abbreviations used around here.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800, 10/10-813
TU - 10/10-774
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 6 of 7
o1977
New Contributor

I had a utility company give me the general response to the GW letter.  I then looked up the CEO or president of the company and wrote him.  I attached the response to my GW letter and explained my circumstances.  Shortly afterward, I received a letter apologizing and stating that the item would be removed.  I agree - keep a positive attitude and try, try, try again.  There is always more than one way to get things done.

Equi:
4/9/10 = 521
8/3/10 = 564
9/16/10 = 578
11/7/10 = 612
11/24/10 = 641

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.