Valued Member
nhandzel

Utility company screwed me

Hey everyone,

I previously owed $278 to WOW for cable/internet service. I called on 07/15 and pif. While I was on the line I advised them that I was making the payment in full to avoid collections. Yesterday I checked the mail and found a collections notice from CMI - Credit Management LP for $278 plus cost of equipment dated 07/14. If I DV this, do you think they would have to ensure it doesn't hit my credit? What should I do? GW both the OC and the CA?

Thanks guys, This was my final debt that needed to paid and of course I get a final collections notice. Please help me out!

Valued Contributor
daisyduke

Re: Utility company screwed me

i had a similiar situation.  get on the phone with cable co collections department. tell them you paid already - get the cable company to call the collection company to straighten it out. i just moved and went to another carrier so when you close out a utility, be careful with them....very different than transferring service. cabel and collections were on the phone with me - all three of us - the CA was told it was an error by the cable company. that should be the end of that - but keep your eyes open for the mail for any further CA notices and most importantly, take care of it BEFORE it hits your account. much more work to correct a mistake when it hits....

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Member
nhandzel

Thank you for your quick response. I'll call the utility company now and see if I can get all 3 of us on the line together. I found the CEO's e-mail as well, ill see if he can help.
Valued Contributor
daisyduke

you might have to call the collections department at your cable company on  monday - they have the 8 am to  5 pm m-f hours (at least my cable company did)....don't talk to a bufoon at the cable company in billing. waste of time....you will get this straightend out! good luck.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+