Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility provider now refuse to delete account from CB

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utility provider now refuse to delete account from CB

Hi all!

I'm always reading and learning from this forum and for the first time decided to post a problem I'm having. I've never taken anything on credit in my life. But when last year I was looking to purchase an SUV. The creditor told me I had a delinquency with a mobile phone provider. I have never used that provider before, so I decided to contact them. They told me that the amount was 500+ and that it already was for collection. I told them that the account wasn't mine and that I need them to investigate the matter in hand.

They agree on investigate the problem but only if I agree on paying the full amount own. I paid them the next day and after a few weeks I received a letter thanking me for the payment and that they will now proceed notifying the CB's. A month later I purchase the SUV and thought that was over. NOT! Three month ago I started my due diligence to purchase a home...and what came in my CR? The a Charge-Off of the mobile company at least with the amount in 0.

I call back to them and explained everything all over again and once again they told me they will take care of the problem and report again to the CB. At this point I've never received a letter regarding the "investigation" they were performing. Today, while I write this post I'm still on hold (49 minutes and counting) because the rep lady told me that they could not tell the CB's to delete the account from records. Sorry for the long explanation but I thought it will help you guys and gals help me better. I need that thing out of my credit asap and don't know what my options are. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work helping others!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Utility provider now refuse to delete account from CB

Paying a debt never, in and of itself, requires the deletion of derogs that occured on the account.

They accurately reported the payment to the CRA, along with its updated status of paid with $0 balance.

The proper course of action would have been to have initiated identity theft proceedings prior to payment.  By simply filing a police report and forwarding a copy to the OC, they would have been required under FCRA 609(e) to have provided you all business records in their possession pertaining to the opening and use of that account.

They could not have refused to provide documentation of their assertion that the account was yours, or have placed any conditions, such as prior payment, on providing that information.  It is a mini-discovery procedure that congress made available to victims of potential identity theft so that they are not left in the untenable position of having to prove a negative without documentation.

Technically, it is probably not too late to compel that information from the creditor, and then use it as a basis for a dispute of their reporting.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Utility provider now refuse to delete account from CB

Thanks for the reply Robert. I'm trying to contact the supervisor that agree on a complete deletion. Althought, it was by phone I was hoping on reaching to her human side sort of speak. They were conducting the investigation by the time I paid off the debt (1+ year ago), but that was all. They never notify me about the findings or anything. Should I write them directly or dispute the account over the CB's? I'm now in the US and that was in Puerto Rico. So visiting and asking them proof I think will be a long shot. Another thing I notice. Is that the account states OPEN. What's with that? Thanks so much for the above advice!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.