Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization Boost Question

tag
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Re: Utilization Boost Question

Jadams76, my CC is 0% interest until September, and even if it wasn't, I will only have $50 if that when the statement cuts = barely any interest accrual once my promotion runs out. I'm only using it to increase my credit limit so I show more available credit and also to maximize my score.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 11 of 16
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

The more money I run through it each month the higher my increase will end up being. I pay the balance off a few days after running it up. There's also a grace period before any interest is added. So if you pay it off within that grace period you also accrue no interest.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Job!

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Stay with your debit card. The debit card withdrawals from your bank account instantly and when you return an item it is instantly put back onto your debit card. Having credit cards are important for features, for example: Discover IT has 5 percent back on gas purchases now until april 2015. Credit cards are high interest loans and utilizing on an account for no reason won't help your credit. Stay honest with your credit usage, if you have too many credit cards let them close automatically. Credit cards are for features, loans are for borrowing. Credit cards offer short term borrowing, for example: a short term credit card loan (Purchase) for 3 months on a 15 percent credit card will cost 15/12=1.25 percent a month interest. 1.25X3= 3.75 percent. If you borrow a 1000 between all of your credit card accounts. you would pay 1000X3.75=37.5 (1000X.0375=37.5). 37.5 dollars of interest over three month borrowing on credit cards. You can average you account percentages, take all your visa,mastercard,discover,american express cards and average the interest rate. For example: 15,12,20,20,19 percent would average to 17.2 percent to borrow on credit cards if they all were charged 200 dollars, which is 20 percent utilization. (15+12+20+20+19=86/5=17.2) If you want to utilize, use a low interest loan and pay it in fixed payments, that will help your credit and save you a lot of money. Loans from a bank can average 10 percent or less. Let your credit naturally clean itself legally and dont try to fool the system. Hope this helped.Smiley Happy

Not sure who your referring to here. But there is no interest to worry about because there is no balance carried month to month. All charges are paid off within a few days. If you use it like a charge card instead of a credit card, the issuer gets vendor fees through the usage, and they have little risk because of no carried balance, and you pay no interest because of no carried balance. The idea here is to develop this habit of card usage - yes it does take discipline and planning - and then carry it over when you can get the reward cards to maximixe their reward value. You initially only do this with ONE card. It's not like you're charging up a bunch of cards and manipulating balances back and forth.

This is about BUILDING your credit and developing certain habits, not fooling the system.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agreeSmiley Happy

Message 15 of 16
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Well said NormanFH.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.