Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Valued Member
0 Kudos

Utilization / Math help please

Not sure if I should post this in the Credit Card or Rebuilding forum, but can someone please help me with my current confusion?

My Cards:

$0/$500 (secured card which is supposed to be upgraded to regular card this month)

$0/$800

$0/$1500 

$0/$5000 

$523/$1000 -   52% - Statement date is the 4th

$1340/$3500 - 38% - Statement date is the 4th

$1300/$2000 - 65% - Statement date is the 4th

$1170/$4500 - 26%  - Statement date is in 2 days (22nd)

Total overall utilization:  23%  

I have $850 to apply to these now, and another $350 next friday.  How much should I pay on each to maximize my score the fastest?

I have the option of doing a balance transfer to the card with the $4,500 limit - no interest for 6 months.  I am debating transferring all of the balances over to the $4,500 card after the statement date and then throwing all my extra money towards that card.  Not sure it will be able to process before the statements hit on the 4th though.  

Any thoughts or suggestions?  

Also, while I am asking - I am an AU (spouse) on all of the above cards except the $500 secured card and the $800 limit card.  Should I be using my cards and letting a small balance report?  Or does it not matter as far as scoring is concerned?  

Thank you so much! 

Valued Member
0 Kudos

Re: Utilization / Math help please

Bumping for the evening crowd Smiley Happy

Community Leader
Super Contributor
0 Kudos

FICO score UTI% on a total basis as well as individual card basis. The major breakpoints as far as scoring seem to be 50% and 30%. Another thing to consider is that you get dinged for carrying balances on half your cards. So what I would do is pay off the smallest balance ($523), put $300 against the $3500 card to get it below 30%, and then put the rest on the $2000 card to get it below 50%.

Most Recent FICO 8 Scores EX571/TU508/EQ560 10/03/2017 Starting scores 553/485/543 08/25//2017
~~~Credit lines~~~~
SDFCU VISA Secured $250
Discover Secured $200
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In general, you should pay off whichever balance has the highest interest rate.

In this case, I think your plan of doing a BT to the 0% card is the right choice. Throw the $1200 at it right away.  You get dinged for having multiple cards reporting balances so, I would focus on 1) trying to have 1 card reporting a balance, and then 2) utilization on that card. BT and then work on getting the balance down.

TU 760 EX 781 EQ 780
Community Leader
Super Contributor
0 Kudos

tiger_uppercut wrote:

In general, you should pay off whichever balance has the highest interest rate.

In this case, I think your plan of doing a BT to the 0% card is the right choice. Throw the $1200 at it right away.  You get dinged for having multiple cards reporting balances so, I would focus on 1) trying to have 1 card reporting a balance, and then 2) utilization on that card. BT and then work on getting the balance down.

This would be a good strategy as well, its impossible to say which would be best for immediate scores. It would put the card at 69%, which is on the high side for individual UTI%, but would be countered by only one card having a balance.

Most Recent FICO 8 Scores EX571/TU508/EQ560 10/03/2017 Starting scores 553/485/543 08/25//2017
~~~Credit lines~~~~
SDFCU VISA Secured $250
Discover Secured $200
Valued Member
0 Kudos

You guys are great, thanks!  I've never done a balance transfer before - do you know how long they take?  It is processed the same as a payment?  The statement date is coming up on the 4th so I'm wondering if it will be transferred over by then. 

Another question I had was - I am authorized user on all those cards except for the $500 and $800 card.  Does it matter that I am not using MY cards, or would my score grow faster if I used my cards?

Thanks again Smiley Happy

Moderator Emeritus
0 Kudos

SandyCheeks wrote:

You guys are great, thanks!  I've never done a balance transfer before - do you know how long they take?  It is processed the same as a payment?  The statement date is coming up on the 4th so I'm wondering if it will be transferred over by then. 

Another question I had was - I am authorized user on all those cards except for the $500 and $800 card.  Does it matter that I am not using MY cards, or would my score grow faster if I used my cards?

Thanks again Smiley Happy

In my experience it depends on the lender.

Using direct deposit Citi has done one in about two days. Discover took almost four days.

Valued Member
0 Kudos

I'll be transferring my Discover and Capital One balances to Chase.  I'll have 10 business days for it to process, so I'm hoping that is enough cushion. Then I will have one card reporting at hopefully under 50% by that statement date and the rest reporting zero.  My lender requires 12 more points before I can get a preapproval.  I'm just trying to find the fastest way to get there!  I'm so greatful I found this forum and for the advice I've received  - I've improved my score over 100 points in 5 months and I'm in the final stretch to get our first home.  

Highlighted
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

You're definitely on the right path! Utilization is a nice quick hit to impact scores (granted, finding the money to tackle large amounts isn't always quick).

You will realize some nice gains as you get to one card reporting and then chip away at it to reduce utilization. For example, I had my new chase card report a low balance from first statement and lost a few points on TU and EQ. Now that I know my cycles, I'll get it back to one card and my scores will come back up.

Good luck on your journey! Celebrate the accomplishments to help you press onward. Smiley Happy

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.