Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization Score

Hi, sorry for the noob question, but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this...

I did find that credit card utilization reflects 30% of the FICO score, but could not find anything on at what point the score changes.  For instance, I assume that 100% utilization would give you the lowest possible utilization score, which would therefore affect 30% of your overall score. But what if you brought down the utilization percentage to under 80%? What about 50%? And so on...

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth paying down balances to get to under 80%, or if I should just wait until I can pay down to less than 50% or X%. I have no idea at what point the score is positively or negatively affected. For some reason, I have 80% in my head because I think someone suggested I pay down a credit card to 80% of utilization before firing off a goodwill letter. 

Thanks,

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: Utilization Score

As with everything, YMMV.  Thus, your credit mix & etc will affect what works best for you. There's been plenty of threads that discuss utilization, but the best advice is to consider that it changes every 10%.  Some believe that the concrete tiers are 49, 29 19 and 9%.  However, you score will change a few points in between and it will make a difference as to what you're doing on each individual card, not just overall. Here's one of the threads: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Are-there-different-tiers-of-utilization/td-p/290966

Good luck to you!

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. That was helpful. I somehow missed that thread when I searched. I know what my goal is (to have everything under 5%), but was just curious if and when I can expect a score change.  Thanks again. 

btw- Congrats on achieving and then exceeding your score goal! 

Message 3 of 4
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

As weird as this may sound, I actually maxed out a low limit card and let it report just to see what would happen, I got a 7 point increase for high utilization lol
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.