Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization and FICO Score

tag
PrettyGyrl
Frequent Contributor

Utilization and FICO Score

So I have the opportunity to PIF my BOA card before the statement cuts. With this in mind, I do need the money however I can swipe my card for the purchase.  I would cut my utilization in half if I PIF, however knowing that it was go back up to the original amount once I make this purchase. I need the boost to my score, although temporarily if I do this route. The question would be, Do you think I would lose too many points once the utilization returned to what it is now? Possibly making my score lower than what it is now? Or do you think there's a possibility that a may not lose too many points because my utilization seems to be the only thing that holding my score below 700. (Yes, I'm constantly paying down my utilization before you ask.)

Thanks in advance.

Started from the bottom, now I'm here: 4/20/15: EX-674 TU 704 EQ-677
TU-Clean...EQ & EX-1 Paid Collections & 1 Judgement
T minus 4 months until Operation EE!!
Goal: 750 Across the board! AMEX Approved! Living in the Garden
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Utilization and FICO Score

Depends upon the *entire* UTI picture. You're only showing us one small corner of it.

Message 2 of 8
PrettyGyrl
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends upon the *entire* UTI picture. You're only showing us one small corner of it.

I have 55% utilization right now. If I PIF I would drop to 35%-40% with having payed down other cards this month and waiting for the statement to cut.

Message 3 of 8
PrettyGyrl
Frequent Contributor

I know it would be a small boost but I'm trying to get the highest score before I app for an apartment.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure how much of a boost you'd get by dropping your UTL by 15%.  If you could get it below 10% you'd probably get a nice bump.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW, unless you're in an ultra-competitive rental market your current scores should be fine to get an apartment, as long as you don't have a bunch of unpaid baddies.

Message 6 of 8
PrettyGyrl
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

BTW, unless you're in an ultra-competitive rental market your current scores should be fine to get an apartment, as long as you don't have a bunch of unpaid baddies.

I don't have any unpaid baddies except for a judgement scheduled tofall off in October, not a housing issue, and yes I'm in NYC, the apartment market is cut throat!

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PrettyGyrl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 55% utilization right now. If I PIF I would drop to 35%-40% with having payed down other cards this month and waiting for the statement to cut.

You're still only showing us a small portion of the picture.The UTI% portion of your score is not just total UTI%, it also factors in each card's individual UTI%. If you have another card, for example, thats at 95% of its limit, paying this card in full would only net you a minimal amount of points.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.