Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization question

tag
MissKay
Contributor

Utilization question

Once you get your utilization to under 9%, will your score change if you go under say 5%? or does it remain the same after a certain point? TIA

Starting Score: 595 2/5/12
Current Score: 650 midscore lender pull 7/24/12
Goal Score: 640

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
wmcodywilson
New Contributor

Re: Utilization question

Under all the posts Ive read on here it varies for each person. The best advice I can give is to play around with the percentages month to month and see what gives you the best score jump. Im currently playing with this as well. 

Starting Score: EQ 489 1/2012 TU 493 1/2012
Current Score: EQ 547 5/2012 TU 562 5/2012
Goal Score: 700

Message 2 of 6
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Good answer wmcodywilson.

I would also like to add. If you have 3 CC's, have 2 of them report $0 and the last CC to report about 9%.Some say that works the best.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 6
MissKay
Contributor

Thanks for the responses. I have 3 and I was at 8% and carrying a $20 balance on 1, $0 on the other and a $60 balance on the other. I paid down the $60 cc to $20 and was wondering if it will matter. By the end of this month I will carry a balance on just 1 cc and see how it helps. Do I need to charge $20a month on the other cards then pay before the statement to $0, or am I ok just not using them at all?

Starting Score: 595 2/5/12
Current Score: 650 midscore lender pull 7/24/12
Goal Score: 640

Message 4 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@MissKay wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I have 3 and I was at 8% and carrying a $20 balance on 1, $0 on the other and a $60 balance on the other. I paid down the $60 cc to $20 and was wondering if it will matter. By the end of this month I will carry a balance on just 1 cc and see how it helps. Do I need to charge $20a month on the other cards then pay before the statement to $0, or am I ok just not using them at all?

Everyone's situation is different and there is no one size fits all approach to this but what seems to work well for most people is to have only one of their cards report a small (<9% of it's credit limit) balance each month and then pay in full before the due date. You can use it as much as you want during the month but what's important is the reported balance because for most cards whatever is reported on the monthly statement is what is used to calculate utilization for the month.

You might have to play around with the percentages for a few months to see what works best for you. Some people say that 1-3% utilization helps the most. For others it might be 5-9%. As I said it's not one size fits all.

On any other cards always try and have them report a zero balance each month. That doesn't mean you can't use them just make sure that the desired zero balance on these accounts is achieved several days before their statements post.

Along with individual and overall utilization, FICO also scores the number of all types of accounts reporting a balance.at any one time Making sure less than half of all your accounts report a balance helps most people.

Now this approach really isn't necessary if you're not looking to apply for any credit in the near future or unless you are trying to tweak your score for maximum effect but some folks do this as a hobby just to see how high they can get their score.

Message 5 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@MissKay wrote:

Everyone's situation is different and there is no one size fits all approach to this but what seems to work well for most people is to have only one of their cards report a small (<9% of it's credit limit) balance each month and then pay in full before the due date. You can use it as much as you want during the month but what's important is the reported balance because for most cards whatever is reported on the monthly statement is what is used to calculate utilization for the month.

You might have to play around with the percentages for a few months to see what works best for you. Some people say that 1-3% utilization helps the most. For others it might be 5-9%. As I said it's not one size fits all.

On any other cards always try and have them report a zero balance each month. That doesn't mean you can't use them just make sure that the desired zero balance on these accounts is achieved several days before their statements post.

Along with individual and overall utilization, FICO also scores the number of all types of accounts reporting a balance.at any one time Making sure less than half of all your accounts report a balance helps most people.

Now this approach really isn't necessary if you're not looking to apply for any credit in the near future or unless you are trying to tweak your score for maximum effect but some folks do this as a hobby just to see how high they can get their score.

+1

I saw my best scores when I had all of mine reporting zero with the exception of one reporting under 9 percent..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.