Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization

tag
ktm214
Frequent Contributor

Utilization

I need to see if I understand this. If I pay off my CO First Premier, that will lower my utilization thus perhaps having a positive affect on my credit score? Thank you
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Utilization

Most usually. Is a CL reported?

Message 2 of 5
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Potentially...unless you're like me and your 110% utilization is "not as bad" as the other things on your credit report. I paid off $1,400 worth of utilization and didn't even get 20 points. YMMV obviously.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Unless you cease using the line of credit.  It costs time and $$ to maintain active accounts.

Little or no usage might lead to account closure.

On the flip side, regardless of FICO scoring impacts of very high util, which can be overcome simply by paying the util down, the residual impact may be a reduction in your CL, thus attempting to reduce their future risk.

In my opinion, the more significant impact of usage history is how the creditor might view it in their future decision making.  High past util may be quickly erased in FICO scoring, but may have other unwanted impact.

Message 4 of 5
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Very, very true. Robert, (fabulous name by the way if I may say so myself as a Robert) would you happen to know if the high utilization issue plays into Secured Cards as well? For instance, a graduating type of card may not consider it if your utilization was high? 

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.