Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Debt Help!

tag
buckeyelady84
Contributor

VA Debt Help!

I went into government collections for a GI Bill debt. I've been making the payments to a collection agency but the VA reports the debt as 120 days late every month. It also shows as an installment loan  on my credit report but says in creditor remarks government collection.

On my credit report it looks like I have a late payment from 3 months ago. I am afraid to dispute because I dont want the late payments updated to today.

Any ideas?

Starting 8/12 EQ- 522, TU 542. Current 5/14 EQ-664 TU-686 EX-unk
Goal to keep building up my credit.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: VA Debt Help!

Community Leader Guiness56 is a master of VA and Military stuff. Im sure Guiness will chime in on this Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@buckeyelady84 wrote:

I went into government collections for a GI Bill debt. I've been making the payments to a collection agency but the VA reports the debt as 120 days late every month. It also shows as an installment loan  on my credit report but says in creditor remarks government collection.

On my credit report it looks like I have a late payment from 3 months ago. I am afraid to dispute because I dont want the late payments updated to today.

Any ideas?

Until the account is paid, they can report lates every month.  Not the CA but the VA.

If it is with a 3rd party CA, they cannot report as an installment loan or late payments.

Is this an overpayment of GI Bill benefits?

Message 3 of 14
buckeyelady84
Contributor

The VA sent it to the US Treasury. treasury contracted a CA to collect. VA is reporting late every month. It is from post 9/11 GI Bill
Message 4 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Until it is paid the VA can report monthly lates.

Is there anyway for you to take care of it now?

Message 5 of 14
buckeyelady84
Contributor

I've made arrangements to make final payment on August 15. I wish I could do it sooner.
Message 6 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Once it is paid, send who is reporting a GW letter asking them to remove the TL.

Message 7 of 14
buckeyelady84
Contributor

Thanks I will.
Message 8 of 14
buckeyelady84
Contributor

For a VA loan Will the 12 months of clean history apply to when the collection was opened Or based upon the lates every month?

Message 9 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Both.

12 months from last late and 12 months from when the collection was reported.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.