cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA GI Bill overpayment GW goodwill help!

tag
brad0502
Contributor

VA GI Bill overpayment GW goodwill help!

Has anyone had luck with a goodwill letter to the VA GI bill dept? I have a collection being reported as paid, but the collection is still there. The debt was forgiven, but the continue to report the collection. If anyone has had luck with a goodwill letter, or call or email ETC. Who was it addressed to? Not sure where to start. I tried calling but they said there was nothing they could do and refused to transer to a supervisor. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: VA GI Bill overpayment GW goodwill help!

@brad0502 wrote:

Has anyone had luck with a goodwill letter to the VA GI bill dept? I have a collection being reported as paid, but the collection is still there. The debt was forgiven, but the continue to report the collection. If anyone has had luck with a goodwill letter, or call or email ETC. Who was it addressed to? Not sure where to start. I tried calling but they said there was nothing they could do and refused to transer to a supervisor. 

You would write the GW letter to the entity that is reporting on your CR, you should be able to get their current address from your CR.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Government agencies are particularly sensitive about arbitrary and subjective actions.

They have agreement to comply with the CRA reporting requirements, which specifically include non-deletion based on having paid the debt.

Granting an exception to one consumer is apt to give rise to a possible discrimination complaint by others who may not be granted the same action.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They absolutely will not budge. I wrote a GW letter every other week for 3 months and NOTHING!!! They didn't even respond with a "no". 

I tried calling, disputing, GWs, and nothing. 

They report my whole SSN on my report as the account number and I swore I read somewhere on this forum that-that's not supposed to be legit. IDK.

My next step is to write my congressman or the Secretary Of the VA.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh, you gotta love the VA *dripping with sarcasm*. So many vets with this problem that the VA created due to their inept processes, yet it is the vets who suffer. I wish I could say my husband has had success with them but no. The good news is that if it is paid it won't prevent you from getting a VA loan on the basis of owing the fed -- but it does hurt your score. On another positive note, at least banks require a lower credit score to get a VA loan so maybe it's not as bad as it seems? (Hoping so!)

Otherwise, I feel your pain -- sorry you are being messed around with by the VA.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.