Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA loan with credit problems

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

VA loan with credit problems

I lost my job around 7 years ago because of my VA disabilities and my credit took a huge hit.  I have been cleaning it up but it is still not up to par.  I was first under the assumption that I needed a 620 to get qualified but that was not the case since I am now at 675.  The main problem I am having is that I currently have four collections but they are all going to be either paid or PFD within the next two months.  I also have around 9 charge offs with all but one showing 0.00 balance.  Any recommendations on if I should ignore the charge offs?  I am doing DV letters to all of them because I have no idea what they are even from. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: VA loan with credit problems

you have 3 credit scores, & i believe the 620 is the average of the 3.

Message 2 of 4
Carbusys
Contributor

620 is not the average, but the middle score needed to qualify for any type mortage loan, providing your credit is clean. Example, if your scores were 620, 601, 675, you would qualify for a mortage. However, if your scores were 675, 599, 601, you would not. But if you have any collections or charge-offs, they must be paid regardless. How do you know your pay for deletions (PFDs) are going to be accepted? Collection agencies may or may not accept a PFD. You only do a DV to a collection agency if you have a balance due, otherwise, do a goodwill (GW) letter asking your creditors to remove any derogatory information on paid in full collections and charge-offs. Do PFDs for those you have the money to pay in full.

If I were you, I would pay the one charge-off you still owe and any collections you have still owing in full and then reapply for the mortgage.

Starting: TU-605; EQ-603; EX-593
Current: (8/11/2010) TU-691; EQ-652; EX-655
Goal: 700 Club

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

All three of mine are above 650.

The PFD's were agreed as per the CA's letters stating they would do it.  I just have to mail in the payments because I didn't think all of them would accept them and so now I have to wait till Oct 1'st to mail out the rest of them.

My main concern is the Charge off's, I am not sure what is an accetpable number?  I will do some goodwill letters since it wont hurt.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.