Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VERY frustrated at response from CRA!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

VERY frustrated at response from CRA!

I'm VERY frustrated and SOOOO hoping someone here can help me. I've been working on repairing our credit. I sent several DV's out to CAs and got no response from anyone. I'm in Texas, so I understand they have 30 days. I didn't get anything in response to my letters but maybe a few extra bills in the mail for them wanting the money! So then I made copies of those letters, copies of the certified mail green cards, copies of my credit report indicating where they were reporting, I wrote the letter to CRA (which I was given here, thank you!) that said I got no response within 30 days and I also enclosed a copy of the TX Finance Code.

Today I got a letter from Experian saying "We are responding to the information you sent us. Upon careful review of your information, we determined that we were not able to use it. We are contacting the source of the information you questioned. When we complete our verification process, which may take up to 30 days or up to 45 days for an investigation of information in an annual free credit report, we will send you the results."

First of all, what kind of response is that, you can't use the information I sent? And so what I'm afraid of us they are going to turn around, contact the CA again who is just going to say "VERIFIED" and that's the end of that!! My point with almost all of the debts they are reporting is that they should have fallen off already but the darn things have been sold so many times, they are reporting them as new debts, so it looks like it's another 5-7 years according to their dates!

I knew after reading all the posts here that I needed to be patient through this process and keep trying. But I feel like this is a vicious unfair cycle that I'm in!! HELP!!!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: VERY frustrated at response from CRA!

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm VERY frustrated and SOOOO hoping someone here can help me. I've been working on repairing our credit. I sent several DV's out to CAs and got no response from anyone. I'm in Texas, so I understand they have 30 days. I didn't get anything in response to my letters but maybe a few extra bills in the mail for them wanting the money! So then I made copies of those letters, copies of the certified mail green cards, copies of my credit report indicating where they were reporting, I wrote the letter to CRA (which I was given here, thank you!) that said I got no response within 30 days and I also enclosed a copy of the TX Finance Code.

Today I got a letter from Experian saying "We are responding to the information you sent us. Upon careful review of your information, we determined that we were not able to use it. We are contacting the source of the information you questioned. When we complete our verification process, which may take up to 30 days or up to 45 days for an investigation of information in an annual free credit report, we will send you the results."

First of all, what kind of response is that, you can't use the information I sent? And so what I'm afraid of us they are going to turn around, contact the CA again who is just going to say "VERIFIED" and that's the end of that!! My point with almost all of the debts they are reporting is that they should have fallen off already but the darn things have been sold so many times, they are reporting them as new debts, so it looks like it's another 5-7 years according to their dates!

I knew after reading all the posts here that I needed to be patient through this process and keep trying. But I feel like this is a vicious unfair cycle that I'm in!! HELP!!!!

You have the advantage of being in TX where, 1) they are very consumer friendly and 2) the CA has to respond within 30 days.

The CRAs do not have to use information you give them.  Did you dispute before you sent in the documentation?

Do you have copies of old CR showing different DoFDs for these accounts?

My first step would be to file a complaint with the TX AG against the CA for not responding.  Then I would send the CA another letter stating you intend to sue, attach a copy of the first DV letter and a copy of the TX Finance Code highlighting the 30 day response.  (You may want to make sure the CA is allowed to collect in TX also.  If not, add that to your list).

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response, yes, I did dispute online first with CRA and they were "verified". Unfortunately I don't have an old credit report to show the DOFD. So since I disputed first, requested documentation/confirmation from the CA but got no response, can they just turn around and say well we're going to ask them again?! You've already asked them once, what's the point of doing it again?!

I just feel like they are allowed to report what they wish and there's nothing that a consumer can do?! In my situation, an original debt from 8-10 yrs ago looks like it's from less than a year ago! The info behind that is that it's been sold probably 10 times and the final place is reporting it as brand new. How can they do that?

Sorry, I'm just very frustrated with all of this!!

Thanks for the input!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update and I'm wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions----I've now received the responses from all 3 CRAs and they have "updated" the accounts I've disputed. Now I feel like I'm back to square one again. These are basically CA's reporting debts that I believe to have DOFD over 7-7.5 yrs ago, and they won't show anything about the original debts/account except the amount owed. They didn't respond to my letters and the only info that it seems the CRAs are reporting is this information. Problem is these debts have been sold multiple times and now they reflect as newer debts on my CR. Hubby and I are trying to buy a house and I'm really getting frustrated by all of this, like the CAs can report whatever they want and the CRAs just believe them with no proof, despite my efforts?! PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The CAs have to respond to you within 30 days because you live in TX.  Very consumer friendly state.

Since they have not, file a complaint with the state AG office.  If the CA continues to attempt to collect they are in violation and they can be sued.

To be safe, I would send them another DV, along with copy of the first one.  In the letter tell them under TX finance code........they are required to respond within 30 days.  If they fail to do so you have no problem taking them to court for their willful noncompliance.  Something along those lines.  Again, send it CMRRR.

I am not sure what part of the code it is, you will need to google and look it up.

Message 5 of 8
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Redating is a violation.  It's too bad you don't have records of the original debt or older CRs.  That doesn't stop you from wriing a letter the the CRA stating that the DOFD was more than 7 years ago, state why you believe that, include a copy of the letter sent to the CA/JDB with a copy of the green card and state they didn't respond.  Also include a copy of your complaint to the AG.

You could also include MOV language - force the CRA to say how they verified and with whom.

There's a chance this will get some deleted.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

The section of the Texas Finance Code that talks about the 30 day time limit for a CA to respond is Sec. 392.202.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses. I did have a copy of the Finance Code. I'll try some additional letters. I originally sent some of the "generic" letters that I found here, but I think it's time for some very specific letters, addressing the items that you mentioned in the post as well. Thanks again for the responses, I'll keep trucking!! Thanks!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.