Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOD

tag
flivai
Established Member

VOD

I have a question. I've requested VOD from a collection agency and all they have provided is a statement of my name, address and breakdown of charges. On their letterhead. Nothing from the original creditor. My question is this legal? And if this is all they are sending, without proper VOD can they report the account to your credit report? Let me know what you think and if there are any laws to reference. Thanks for your time.

Equifax - 683
Transunion - 632
Experian - 675
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: VOD

FDCPA 809 covers debt validation.

All they are required to send you is who is currently collecting and the amount of debt.  If you ask for the name and address of the OC and an itemization of the debt they must provide that also.

(b) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

This means they can just a verbal verification from the OC.  They do not have to send you anything from the OC.  If they do, they are going above what is required.

And yes, they can report.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.