Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vacated Judgment lowers score?

tag
jim20j
Valued Member

Vacated Judgment lowers score?

I paid off a Credit card Judgment in Sept 2010. I was sued, they won, and I paid monthly payments. I have a letter from the OC that the dept has been satisfied and that they will report to the CA's that it has been paid. It is currently on public record on my credit report. Now I was thinking of contacting the CA's lawyer to have the judgment vacated since it was already paid to pull it back from the CA's. However, I have recently read that several people had this done and their score had dropped. Should I just leave it on my report or follow through with attempting to have it removed risking a score drop?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

Re: Vacated Judgment lowers score?

@jim20j wrote:

I paid off a Credit card Judgment in Sept 2010. I was sued, they won, and I paid monthly payments. I have a letter from the OC that the dept has been satisfied and that they will report to the CA's that it has been paid. It is currently on public record on my credit report. Now I was thinking of contacting the CA's lawyer to have the judgment vacated since it was already paid to pull it back from the CA's. However, I have recently read that several people had this done and their score had dropped. Should I just leave it on my report or follow through with attempting to have it removed risking a score drop?

The only reason it would lower your score is if you were rebucketed and you no longer have any baddies.  If this were to happen it is not necessarily a bad thing.  This would allow your scores to soar to levels you otherwise would not have been able to achieve.  A judgment is a PR and regardless of how you look at it - it is a bad thing.  By all means, if you can have it removed you should do so.

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 2 of 5
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

I would take a hit to my score over a judgment any day. Smiley Happy

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 3 of 5
admise78
Established Member

I just had a judgment vacated. It is deleted from Equifax and got a 60 points increases!!!
Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Rebucketing doesn't always cause a score drop.  Even if it did you would quickly recover.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.