Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validation Response...What next?

tag
redwings2013
Established Member

Validation Response...What next?

Hello All,

I have a Colorado Utility bill from 2009 that is showing up now in collections.  The CA is not the OC.  The OC is Excel.

I sent a validataion letter with the verbiage below which seemed straight forward....

"I receive your letter claiming I owe you a debt. Per the FDCPA, send me validation of this debt."

I received back letter from BC Services stating the following...We are in receipt of your letter of dispute.  Per the FCRA our office has underaken a reasonable investication into your dispute.  In acknowledgement of dispute we have requested the accounts be reported with the CRAs as disputed.

I only asked for validation; I did not dispute so why the a dispute response letter?  Also, I think the debit is beyond SOL and I am fairly certain is not accurate.  

What should I do next?

Thanks to all.

Kevin

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Validation Response...What next?

Who did you send the DV to?  Who is BC Services?

From what they wrote back it sounds like you sent it to the OC and they took it as a dispute.

Message 2 of 5
redwings2013
Established Member

BC Services is the CA working on behalf of the OC.  

I did not dispute it (yet).  I asked for validation so their response is inaccurate.  How should I handle?

Also, anyone know the SOL in Colorado?  It looks like 3 years for these type of accounts making this one outside the SOL.

Thanks to all.

Kevin

Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

SOL is 6 years in CO.

I would write them another DV letter and state you are not disptuing under FCRA but asking for debt validation per FDCPA 809. 

Message 4 of 5
redwings2013
Established Member

@guiness56 wrote:

SOL is 6 years in CO.

I would write them another DV letter and state you are not disptuing under FCRA but asking for debt validation per FDCPA 809. 

Thank you guiness56 and I will try that.

FYI, I have found several websites showing both a 3 year and a 6 year Colorado SOL depending on type of account.  I will probably call the Colorado AG to clear this one up.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.