cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon / AFNI collection advice?

tag
qbool

Verizon / AFNI collection advice?

I have an account from '08 that shows a balance of $382 (final bill for early termination that Verizon never sent me). Verizon isn't reporting this account but AFNI just started reporting it in 04/2012 (I've never received anything from them either, grrrr). The DOFD is 1/2009, so TX SOL expires in 1/2013.

I called Verizon to inquire about this account and they still have records for it. When I said that AFNI was reporting it on my credit, the CSR claimed that it went to AFNI in 11/2011 but then was brought back to Verizon for collection in 12/2011 (the CSR was ready to accept payment btw) - he advised that I dispute the AFNI TL and even gave me the phone # for EX.

I called AFNI and, naturally, they claim that they now own the account and that Verizon never recalled it in 12/2011.

Ultimately, my goal is remove this account from the CRA's (if possible). With that in mind, I have some questions for best next steps:

1) Now that I have contacted Verizon, is it likely that they will start reporting this account?

2) If I take Verizon at their word about AFNI not having this account anymore, would the following be a viable strategy: a) ask Verizon to provide documentation that AFNI no longer has the account; b) PIF Verizon; c) dispute the AFNI TL using documentaiton provided from Verizon; d) hope that Verizon doesn't start reporting the account with a $0 balance?

Was the Verizon CSR just blowing smoke or does #2 stand a chance of working?

I figure worst case here is that I end with both Verizon and AFNI reporting the account w/$0 balance, at which point I'd go the GW route for both (and cross my fingers).

Thanks in advance for any help! :-)

John

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: Verizon / AFNI collection advice?

You'll probably get better feedback on this issue over in the Rebuilding credit boards.  Might be able to find some good contact information too. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 2 of 15
qbool

Thanks, I'll repost over there.

Message 3 of 15
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Moved to RYC.

Message 4 of 15
qbool

Thanks MarineVietVet. I reposted here a second ago... could you remove that one please?

Message 5 of 15
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

@qbool wrote:

I have an account from '08 that shows a balance of $382 (final bill for early termination that Verizon never sent me). Verizon isn't reporting this account but AFNI just started reporting it in 04/2012 (I've never received anything from them either, grrrr). The DOFD is 1/2009, so TX SOL expires in 1/2013.

I called Verizon to inquire about this account and they still have records for it. When I said that AFNI was reporting it on my credit, the CSR claimed that it went to AFNI in 11/2011 but then was brought back to Verizon for collection in 12/2011 (the CSR was ready to accept payment btw) - he advised that I dispute the AFNI TL and even gave me the phone # for EX.

I called AFNI and, naturally, they claim that they now own the account and that Verizon never recalled it in 12/2011.

Ultimately, my goal is remove this account from the CRA's (if possible). With that in mind, I have some questions for best next steps:

1) Now that I have contacted Verizon, is it likely that they will start reporting this account?

2) If I take Verizon at their word about AFNI not having this account anymore, would the following be a viable strategy: a) ask Verizon to provide documentation that AFNI no longer has the account; b) PIF Verizon; c) dispute the AFNI TL using documentaiton provided from Verizon; d) hope that Verizon doesn't start reporting the account with a $0 balance?

Was the Verizon CSR just blowing smoke or does #2 stand a chance of working?

I figure worst case here is that I end with both Verizon and AFNI reporting the account w/$0 balance, at which point I'd go the GW route for both (and cross my fingers).

Thanks in advance for any help! :-)

John

I don't know much about how good Verizon is in accepting PFD's or deleting, but Afni is pretty good about removing once it's been paid.  I had an old T-Mobile bill for $638 that Afni offered to settle for $99.  They wouldn't agree to a PFD, but I decided that it was a pretty good offer and even if they wouldn't delete, at least it would show to someone manually reviewing my CR that it was paid.  Within about a month of updating my CR to showing that the $99 was paid, Afni deleted without me even asking.  If they won't agree to a PFD and they do offer a settlement,  try getting them to agree to reporting it as simply paid, not with the special comment paid, settled for a lesser amount.  Then you can always GW them after it's paid and I bet you will be successful if they don't delete it before then. In my case, Afni was the only one that ever reported, not T-Mobile.

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 6 of 15
qbool

Thanks proudnavymom. My dilemna, though, is: I'm not even sure I *should* pay AFNI (for delete or otherwise), since Verizon claims that the account is back with them now.

Has anyone had experience with a situation like this?

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same experience with AFNI and a past due Verizon bill. I took their settlement offer and within a couple of weeks it was off of my CR. I wish that everything could be this easy!
Message 8 of 15
qbool

Glad to hear it came off your CR so easily meowmix! It sounds like AFNI is pretty good about removal after pay, even if they don't agree to PFD very easily.

The scoring affect of this collection is a bit odd. Before the account was added to my EQ, my score was 711 (myFICO). When it was added, my score only dropped to 703 (?). Just last night, I recieved a score alert and my score returned to 711. The only thing that changed was that AFNI updated the comment to 'Consumer disputes this account information' and the Balance field is now showing as blank (Past Due field is still $382). Does this sound right?

Message 9 of 15
checkmyscore

Verizon / Afni...don't even get me started!

One piece of advice. All communication should be written and mail sent by certified return receipt. 

Verizon will never report it. They want your business and good publicity. Instead, they use a third party to screw you. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.